Beth's Reviews > Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body

Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere by Kate Harding

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in July, 2009

Highly recommended.
I'm a huge fan of the blog created by one of this book's authors, Shapely Prose (, so naturally I'm predisposed to like this book. But I really think it is a groundbreaking work. It's well-written, witty, at times hilarious, and yet powerful, insightful, and a blow to society's fatphobia and woman-hating forces. It will make many readers rethink their assumptions about themselves, about fat, about the "science" of "obesity." This book encourages you to question the messages you get everyday, do the research, think critically. It also celebrates what it's like to stop dieting and start loving your body, while also being realistic about how hard it is to do that. The co-authors share their personal experiences, and they admit to still having doubts and bad days, just like everybody. Their smart writing and sense of humor shine throughout the book. My only criticism: they needed some kind of communication at the beginning that they're mostly talking to and about women, since they often make statements that make it clear they're assuming the reader is female. It's not that there isn't stuff in here for everybody, regardless of gender, but there's still a lot of "we women" messages. It's only a weakness in the sense that they needed to be a little more upfront about it. A minor drawback of an otherwise terrific book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere.