Purl Scout's Reviews > It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita

It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather B. Armstrong

1933451
Feb 08, 13

Recommended for: new moms, very pregnant women

Despite the obvious flaws about this book, that it is poorly written by someone who thinks she is far funnier than she actually is, I would actually recommend it to very new moms. The author does a really good job of relaying the isolation and upheaval that accompany the arrival of a baby, especially one's first. Some of her anecdotes are insightful, and could possibly be a beacon of light much needed by a frazzled and overly emotional new mom. I personally had a problem with the prose. Every paragraph is dappled with an attempt at witticism, which became highly annoying within the first few chapters. The book definitely reads like the compilation of a blog (which it is) and not like a true memoir, so it does seem like the author is merely treading water and not actually progressing. Overall, though, I did kind of enjoy it...even if it was just because I liked feeling a bit superior, like I have actually come quite a long way since my first few shaky months as a first time mom.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Sucked and Then I Cried.