Amanda's Reviews > Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

May 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: graphical
Read in May, 2009

Batman set in the era of the stovepipe hat and the denizens of the gaslit city bustle from place to place in horse-drawn carriages. Its an excellent concept, however, one which is poorly executed. The tales are uninspired and The Bat himself occasionally looks out of place, an anachronism in lycra from another time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Kunzmann Hey Amanda,

If you like Batman and Sin City, you should definitely try Batman: Arkhum Asylum. It's the best batman written by far. Killing Joke is also pretty good.

Later,
R

message 2: by Amanda (last edited May 18, 2009 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda I have been recommended Killing Joke and I really like the look of Arkham Asylum! Unfortunately our local library is less then well stocked with Batman and Gotham by Gaslight was the only standalone they had that took my fancy. There is also this strange phenomena where they seem to lack volume one of about everything more substancial :P

I love the old Batman films and Gaslight was disapointing, but I wasn't going to let it colour my opinion of the whole universe. I guess I'll have to spend some funds to get the good stuff!

Loving Dead-End Road by the way. I've been revising and taking exams as such lately, but I've really gotten into it, just having to read it a bit slower than I would have liked!

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Kunzmann I hope by the old Batmans you mean the pre-Christian Bale stuff. Because there's the original Batman movies from the 60s and they are so cheesy, the words stinky fromage couldn't begin to describe them.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Dead-End Road. Fighting hard to finish the first book of a new series. Already a year past deadline. Yikes! Surpised I haven't yet been lynched by my publishers.

Good luck with your exams! You must be looking forward to a long summer holiday.

Amanda Yeah, I didn't really get on with the Chritian Bale batman...I find Bale a bit dull in the role and the plots are too action focused for me. I actually liked the Burton films of the late 80s and early 90s and as I have a shameless love of the B-Movie, I'm afraid I did enjoy Adam West's stinky classic 'Batman The Movie', though naturally, in a completely different way.

And yes, I am looking forward to a few months free of evening classes before I start again in September :P