Ashley's Reviews > What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

Sep 12, 07

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in September, 2007

I liked this book for a few different reasons.

First - you can tell they based this book way back when the AIDS epedemic was first coming in because nowadays everyone knows about it and is not as ignorant as they were in the book. True - it was a lot more common because ppl were so dumb to it and I think the book might have gone a little too far with the whole disease. I was surprised to find that she started talking about it in like the third sentence or so or at least in the first chapter. I thought this whole book was going to revolve around AIDS but it didn't.

It showed you that anything can happen to regular, everyday ppl just like you and me. Diseases like that don't know age, race, class or anything of that sort. All it takes is one stupid move and we're just like them. I feel this book had alot of strong points and even though she was sick she still lived on just like any other person. Of course - she had her moments and doubts but she's only human, right?

I think the love story was a little predictable. TOO predictable. You could tell she was going to fall for the guy as soon as she saw him. Like you didn't see that coming.

Makes you wonder why the author chose to go down the path that she did with the whole racial thing with the violence and way of life and everything. As if they were DOOMED to that way or something.

All in all I liked the book. There were a few times when I felt that she coudl've put a few twists to some of the parts but I read this in a day so it was obviously enjoyable enough.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day.

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Morrs I felt like this book was akin to the the movie version of "how stella got her groove back" trite stereotypes of African American Women who are like, "hey girl" "I've got AIDS girl, how you doing boo!"

Please tell me you just snarfed and found me not offensive but spot on. Cheers!