Bookaholics's Reviews > Daring Time

May 04, 09

Daring Time by Beth Kery
Contemporary Paranormal- May 5th 2009
4 ½ stars

Beth Kery has written a superb novel that seamlessly mixes: paranormal, super sexy characters and high suspense. Her book was a wonderful surprise from beginning to end. At first I was astonished to discover it was a paranormal, time travel romance. For those who do not enjoy paranormal romances, please do not let this stop you from grabbing this book! It in no way detracts from the story but only adds to it’s vibrancy and originality.

Chicago 2008
Detective Ryan Daire is shocked to discover he has inherited an opulent mansion from his old professor. He is more stunned when he immediately starts to have haunting visions of a beautiful woman when he arrives. When he begins to have strangely erotic dreams and finds a book of poetry belonging to a woman named Hope Stillwater he feels compelled to write his name in the book and questions his sanity. But his longing for this unknown woman will not go away. Ryan becomes determined to find the woman of his dreams. When he discovers Hope was murdered, Ryan is shaken. He must prevent her death, but is she really from the past? And if so, how can he possibly save her?

Chicago 1906
Hope is Victorian woman with a purpose. She is determined to save woman form being victimized into prostitution. However, her meddling has brought her enemies. When she tries on a scandalous dress she is startled to see a gorgeous stranger in strange clothing watching her in her mirror. Hope knows she should be worried but she can’t help but be fascinated by the large stranger. She is even more confused to find someone has written Ryan Vincent Daire, 2008 in her book of sonnets. Could this be the name of the stranger? Heated encounters with the mysterious man make Hope long for something elusive. Unfortunately, Hope doesn’t have the time to explore his origins or their encounters because she is suddenly abducted. When Hope wakes, she finds herself at one of the brothels she has tried to save other women from. Hope has interfered one too many times and it is about to pay the price.

Beth Kery’s writing is strong and sure. I love time travel romances but admit to sometimes having trouble believing the time travel aspect. This not the case in this engrossing novel. The characters and their motivations make sense and the time travel aspect was convincing and realistic. What I enjoyed most was the hero’s single minded determination to find and save Hope even if he had to cross time itself to do it. There is something about a man who is that macho and focused on his woman that makes my heart flutter! Plus, Ryan has a naughty dominant streak that heats up the pages and made me hot under the collar! Hope is no wallflower and it is enjoyable to read her resolve and strength of character especially as she is tested throughout the book. This story will also thrill readers who love danger and suspense. It was a joy to read. And a delicious treat that you will not want to miss! My only regret is that I read it too fast.
Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daring Time.