HaQuyen's Reviews > Kushiel's Scion

Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey

May 04, 09

Read in March, 2009

A nice introduction to Imri as the narrator in this next trilogy in the Terre D'Ange world and his main moral struggle to be good despite his heritage, but as in her first novel, Carey takes a long while to lay the groundwork, covering her protagonist's youth, education, triumphs/travails/dalliances before really introducing the crisis of the plot. The subplots and updates with old characters from the previous trilogy keeps one sufficiently entertained, but at times I did find myself wondering where it was all going.

I may have not appreciated the size of the mosaic, but very much enjoyed the intricacies of the tesserae.

*As a note to the cover art for all the books in this series - I don't like them. For example, why do the Imriel books feature women on the cover? And I absolutely detest the half-baked design for Phedre's large, intricate back tattoo on the first trilogy's covers. Boo hiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Scion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Taygus It's his birth-mother on the cover..

HaQuyen Looking_around wrote: "It's his birth-mother on the cover.."

It's been awhile since I read the books, so I had to double-check, but it's his adoptive mother Phedre on the cover- Melisande is Imriel's birth-mother and doesn't have a marque on her back.

But my main point is that while it's a consistent marketing/branding scheme, it doesn't make sense that the Imriel trilogy books have women on the cover when he is the main character - the Phedre books have her on the cover, why not Imriel?

Taygus sorry..different books..one I hove is not Phedre.. and I suppose it's more to show the series is connected