Aquit's Reviews > Shadow Music

Shadow Music by Julie Garwood

May 23, 09

bookshelves: books-i-reviewed, books-from-library, waste-of-time-and-tree, historical-romance, bland-characters, characters-spine-removed, could-had-been-better, ending-tie-up-with-a-fake-bow, i-think-i-have-amnesia
Recommended to Aquit by: Noone, not surprising there
Recommended for: Noone, it wasn't a book at all
Read in March, 2008, read count: Twice, to make sure it wasn't a Cliff Note

I remember going to a book club and everybody was taking turn cooing over "Shadow Music" when it got to my turn. I took one look at these ladeis and blurted out, "I hated it. There was no plot. What the hell happened to Julie Garwood? What the hell was this crap?" They all look at me in horror and finally one lady said, "I thought I was the only one who hated it."

Julie Garwood, what the heck happened to you? She used to be one of my favorite authors because she created masterpiece and fantasies with a touch of a pen about her heros and heroines who rode across the Highlander fields sworing to protect their family and clan. I remember reading her book "Ransom", my all-time favorite book from her, as a child and wanting someday to have my own Brodick to love and cherish.

When I read "Shadow Music" I was anticipating it to be the best ever from Julie. I had hope that Gillian would appear, that the humor was at its best, where the hero and heroine fought against monsters to stay together, and the ending would leave me with a satisfying feeling--you know, the mushy kind. Yeah, I was hoping too much.

I couldn't remember the characters' name (beside Brodick) if my life had depended on it. It took me a whole week to read it because I felt that I was reading a summary of a book (like Cliff's Note) instead of the book itself. It was rushed and what the heck was all of those one page chapters? I couldn't decide if I wanted to finish the book or sell it before people find out it was a horrible book.

Colm MacHugh was supposedly the "most feared man in the Highland." Him? Really? I think a child could had beat him at sword fighting. I didn't feel anything for him at all and that surprise me. I always like the male character but him? Nothing. Princess Gabrielle had no personality, was bland, one deminsional, and was a typical dumb girl. I couldn't find the reasons how these two people could fell in love with each other at all. The dialog between them was boring and awkward. It felt like a brotherly and sisterly relationship and that made it worse. What happened to LOVE?

Some say that Julie was rushed into making "Shadow Music" and it wasn't her fault she had only a few months to write it or that maybe her heart isn't just into historical novels anymore. Whatever the reason, I don't think "Shadow Music" will ever be one of her best work. I'm afraid to say it but she has become a mediocre author who no longer has the magic gift of writing the historical novels I read as a child.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Music.