John's Reviews > Thirteenth Child

M 50x66
Jun 09, 09

bookshelves: frontier-magic
Read in June, 2009

Much like Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series, or my beloved Ozark Trilogy by Elgin, Thirteenth Child is set in world where folk magic is real and pervasive.

The main character Eff, short for Francis, is an engaging character and one that the reader can readily empathize with. All of her short life she has been told that as a thirteenth child she is unlucky and bound to become evil, unlike her brother Lan the 7th son of a 7th son upon whom t he sun rises and sets.

Her family moves out to the frontier to start over and give Eff the chance at a life that involves less inspection by family and friends waiting for her to turn evil. Unfortunately, strange things are happening out there that have never happened before. Eff becomes swept up in these troubles and we as readers get to go along for the ride.

This is not a story of a magnificent sweeping Destiny (yes, with a capital "D") but the story of a magical girl and her magical family struggling to make a life. The characters are moderately well fleshed out and quite interesting.

This is a very fun and quick read and I am really hoping that therewill be sequels. My 9 year old daughter also read and enjoyed this book quite a bit.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteenth Child.