Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > The Power of a Praying Wife

The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

Oct 15, 09

bookshelves: owned-physical-book, 2-stars, 2009, christian, non-fiction
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

For the first few chapters I was very impressed by this book, and I still think it's a brilliant idea, but I do think the author made some very troubling claims.

The first problem is that she assumes the husband is Christian too. Praying for your husband is even more important if he isn't saved, and Stormie Ormatian seemed to forget that aspect, which made me feel like I wasn't part of the target group.

The second thing I took issue with is in the chapter of praying for his sexuality. I have no problems with that, and agree with the importance of it, but Stormie claimed that if a wife didn't feel like having sex, she should just 'suck it up' (paraphrased), and if a husband didn't feel like having sex, there was a fundamental problem and they should seek counseling!!!

So a man is always a sex-fiend, and if he's not, there's something wrong with the marriage??? What a way to ruin a wife's self-esteem!

That said, praying daily for your husband (or wife) is not only a good idea, it's a necessity, and I liked Stomie's way of approaching it, by taking specific issues, specific aspects of his life and focusing on those. That's definitely something I'll continue to try to practice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of a Praying Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Markham I am reading now and am only on page 42 but she has addressed a husband that is a non-believer on page 36. I know she uses a lot of examples from her marriage and he is a believer so it may appear she is talking more about a Christian spouse but I think what I have read so far could be useful if your spouse is not a believer.