Caris's Reviews > Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn

May 06, 09

bookshelves: 2009, favorites, young-adult
Read in May, 2009

Last Saturday night, my dog and I watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. We enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, Max (that's my dog) went through three rawhide chews before the movie was finished. Three! For a two pound dog, that's pretty frigging impressive. I picked up the book the next day.

I read a lot of reviews that said the book was way better than the movie. Lucky for me, I watched the movie first, so my experience was not, and shall not be, spoiled. The book follows the first "date" of a couple of recent high school grads falling in love over the course of a night. They both have some baggage to work through, which keeps the story from being overly sappy. That said, I am a sap. I loved the love story. It was really enjoyable to be with these two ultra-hip-super-witty-indie-music-snobs.

I liked the he said/she said format. It was even better after having seen the movie. The book offers Nick and Norah's thoughts, which really filled in the blanks that the movie left me with. I think that these two pieces are best consumed together, preferably in the same night. Watch the movie first. It isn't going to ruin anything. There were enough differences between the film and the book for each to remain interesting.

This was, dare I say, the single best "teen" book I have ever read. It made me want to do the whole "falling in love" thing all over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.

Quotes Caris Liked

David Levithan
“She's cinematic and I'm a fucking sitcom.”
David Levithan, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristy I've been wanting to read this one for forever... and I keep almost watching the movie, maybe I'll just give in and watch the movie first like you :)

Caris Go for it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Mike So, what's better: this, or Will Grayson, Will Grayson? I'm personally a bigger fan of the latter, but you've said at different times that both are your favorite YA book.

Caris Did I really say Will Grayson, Will Grayson was my favorite? If I did, it was a blatant lie. I prefer this one. Both are great books, but I like this one better.

Mike I... think you said that? It was a while ago that I thought I read it, so I don't remember where it was. I'm probably imagining it.

Caris I am wildly inconsistent, so I'm putting my money on your memory.