Karen's Reviews > Firefly Lane

F 50x66
May 03, 2009

it was ok
Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** We are reading this book in my book club. I listened to it on audio book. It is the story of Kate and Tully who meet as teenagers and then remain friends for 30 years. They are bff's and it is the story of friendship between two women and a betrayal that almost destroyed it. A few CD's into this I asked another lady in the club "Where is this going? How will she fill 15 CD's with this story?" I kept waiting for the big betrayal / twist at the end. So, I couldn't stop listening.

The story however, was way too long for what she had to say. My favorite "girlfriend" book is Sula. And so I compared this book to it automatically, and it just doesn't come close. Sula is much shorter and much more poignant. I also felt like I was listening to the same story again when Kate's daughter was a teenager. Also, I would have killed that girl.

There were a few things in this book that did not work for me. The first thing is that it seems the author just stereotypes women. Either you are the sexy, hot working woman, or you are the frumpy housewife. In the beginning of the story Mrs. M (Kate's mom) tells the girls they can have it both. The author then seems to prove that you can't. Women have to choose between working and staying at home? Sorry, I have been a working mom for 15 years, and we can do it!

Also, Kate is always talking about all the money her best friend has but then her husband was making a lot of money as well. At one point she even says that they were almost as rich as Tully. So, why couldn't she get help with the household if she is that overwhelmed? Why couldn't she take better care of herself? My best friend is a stay at home mom, and involved in everything, with 3 little girls. And she always looks good!

The other part that didn't jive is that Mrs. M tells Tully her dad was an alcoholic, and talks about how much she hated it. Yet she herself was "making it though with alcohol". My grandfather was an alcoholic and I can tell you the kids that hate it, do not use alcohol to make it though the day. They know how much it can hurt their families.

The book had an important message about inflammatory breast cancer. I had not heard of it, and am like Kate where I do my regular exams. So that is a bit scary for all women. A powerful lesson, and makes this book worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.

05/12/2009 page 50
05/27/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Terri thanks for your review. I agree, I thought it was pretty simplistic. The part about IBC was helpful but didn't enter into the story all that much til the very end.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) Great review! You know, I couldn't believe all of the alcohol consumption in this book, especially used as a coping mechanism! It's like, if you feel overwhelmed, just make margaritas and everything will be fine!

In my review I hadn't even thought about the fact that Mrs. M. told the girls they could have it both ways and yet neither of them seemed to live their lives with the same concept. It drove me nuts that Kate became the "frumpy housewife" while Tully just became a career-driven slut.

And where was the emotion between Kate and Johnny? One minute he's having a one-nighter with Tully, then suddenly he realizes he loves Kate? How'd that happen?!

Samantha I don't spend time writing reviews, it's mostly for my own memory - but I had to read what others said about Firefly Lane and you put it so well. I kept waiting for this great betrayal and some crazy cliff hanger at the end. Nope. Nada. It was about 200 pages too long with an awfully cyclical plot. It didn't take us anywhere. Fight. Make up. Fight. "You're a bitch, you know that, Tully?". Make up. Sigh... I was waiting for Johnny and Tully to start some scandalous affair.

Eileen Duhig I entirely agree with you. I disliked every character and would have stopped reading it if it hadn't been chosen for a book club. The premise was great, but it fell short in every area-- theme, character development, lesson, and overall plot development. I would not recommend this book to anyone.

Jeanne Gibbs You expressed my feelings exactly: The story was too long for what it had to say! I'd add that what it had to say was cliche ridden.

message 6: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy Although I do agree that it was quite a bit too long I liked it... It was read (and probably written) well enough that I kind of felt like the third friend. I doubt I'd tell someone to read it simply because although parts were far too long the ending just sort of ended (yes cute but not finished IMO) but it made me want to read more of her books

Jessica watson Wen does Mrs M mention alcohol? I lvl the pot sence