dale paul's Reviews > The Good Earth

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Sep 01, 07

Recommended for: Men with soft hands and soft feet.
Read in January, 2007

This book should needs a good subtitle. Something along the lines of The Good Earth: the Tradegy of O-lan. Although the reader is supposed to gather the unconditional love of the earth and that humankind's ultimate destiny lies within the earth and that we are born from the earth and the earth is where we shall return, earth, earth, earth earth, earth! But what I think is the most fascinating thing about this book is the woman, slave, mother character O-lan. Her resiliance is something that all women should look up to, and men for that matter! To think that (and yes, this is fiction) a woman ripe with child, works in the fields all day and when the time comes she lays down her hoe, asks for a freshly cut reed to use as a device to cut herself from her child, and returns to the house where the child was conceived, asks for no help, spills no blood, and makes no noise except a little heavy breathing, and when it's all finished says simply, "It is a boy," when she returns to the field, picks up her hoe, and proceeds to finish her line that she left an hour earlier. What a Woman! What a book. What a simple book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Earth.