Eva Mitnick's Reviews > Losing You

Losing You by Nicci French

May 03, 09

bookshelves: grown-ups
Read in May, 2009

I have to agree that if my teenaged child went missing, I would NOT be able to just sit and let the police do the investigating, especially when they are being way too by-the-book and methodical. The mom in Losing You is Nina, and her daughter has vanished right before a big and anticipated trip to America. All the action happens on their small English island town and is mostly Nina charging about, following one bit of inspiration after another. For the most part, the plot doesn't rely on farfetched coincidences or ridiculous leaps of logic - all Nina's findings and clues are hard-won and logical. Her frenzy and panic are painful and utterly believable, but really, the police seemed almost ridiculously incompetent - or maybe it's just that their movements feel glacial to Nina, who every possibility to be explored immediately, for the sake of her child.

I felt there was a bit lacking in the motivation and character of the Bad Guy - he never came alive at all as a character, and he should have, as his actions and people's reactions to him were very important. Otherwise, a quick and tension-filled read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing You.