Alison 's Reviews > Seeds

Seeds by Thomas Merton

Jul 08, 09

Thomas Merton has got to be the sexiest monk that ever lived...and not sexy in the American Hollywood adolescent sense, but sexy in the juicy, raw, fire-in-your-veins, full of life sense. He was a man who reflected, questioned, challenged, and committed himself to the difficult practice of living what he preached. A religious man who went beyond the trappings of religion to the deeper meanings and exploration of the existential experience...A monk who was the opposite of a passive hermit; an activist, a writer, and we are offered his gifts for enrichment if we choose. The book is divided into four sections which editor Robert Inchausti selected: Real and False Selves, The World We Live In, Antidotes to Illusion, and Love in Action. I am impressed with how one can discern flavors of the time period in which Merton was writing, while at the same time glean the transcendant meanings which are applicable in our own day and age...especially his writings on commercialism, advertisements, and technology. I really enjoyed this book and the format is such that it is easy to pick up and read a few passages at a time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds.