Lisa Johnson's Reviews > Firefly Island

Author: Lisa Wingate
Pages: 384
Year: 2013
Publisher: Bethany
Firefly Island is the first novel I have read by Lisa Wingate. I think she has a talent for intertwining romance with suspense. When I first began reading the story, I wondered what was the point or theme of the story. I was also trying to figure out if this was a mystery or a romance and just exactly had I gotten myself into! Well, what I discovered was a story unlike any I have read recently.
Mallory is working on Capitol Hill as a legislative assistant, single, and living a very fast-paced life without room for anyone significant to get close to her. One day as she is rushing about in high costly apparel with her arms loaded with papers, she meets a man who holds her attention. Within a month they are married; she becomes a step-mother and is moving to a very remote place in Texas. As a newlywed she is now responsible for a 3-year-old and a house that has space for various critters, but not of the human kind. As she begins to implode, she reaches out for a lifeline only to hear her own responses she gave months ago to others when they needed her given right back to her. Now Daniel is working for a man who has a hidden past, which scares Mallory. She is trying to adapt to a snail pace lifestyle when she is accustomed to being on-the-go constantly.
Mallory and Daniel meet a variety of characters in this small Texas town. Mallory meets people she never even thought of as people before. Nick, her stepson, makes friends so easily. When he is discovered asleep in an area that has been declared off limits by Daniel’s boss, the mystery about him climaxes. Jack West has Daniel doing research that is so secretive and demands so much time that Mallory has to find a new life for herself. Her friends in Washington set her up to blog never imagining that she will be uncovering a major headliner of a story!
At first, the reading for me went slow. It probably didn’t help that I was trying to figure out the story instead of enjoying it. Once I get to know an author’s writing, I can read and enjoy the novel more. Are you like that? Lisa Wingate has a new follower now, and it is me. She writes with a heart that shares real life issues in a fictional setting and it was great. I loved coming to the end of the novel and seeing God glorified as well as knowing that there are novels where the search for truth is paramount. Here, we see where a Washingtonian becomes a frontier woman who then finds herself in front of a camera defending the rights of all people. How does she get there? What are the other events that occur in this character’s life? To find the answers, grab a copy, open to the first page and get ready for a journey of discovering that God does use people no matter where they live.
My rating is 4 ½ stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo... . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Island.