Bethany Andrews's Reviews > Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time by David Goodwillie

Sep 01, 07

bookshelves: memoir, bookofthemomentreviews
Read in August, 2006

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm a memoir junky..there is something reassuring in reading about another soul who has faced challenges and not always triumphed over them..its just always nice to know you're not the only one who screws up on a pretty regular basis at this game we call life.

Goodwillie's memoir is one of the better ones I've read. It's more than just a memoir..its a struggle to find meaning and authenticity in a mundane world. The story is that of his struggle to become a writer. Of his successes and failures, his loves and losses..of his screw ups and sell outs. All are told in a way that makes Goodwillie seem endearing and naive to a reader.

We follow Goodwillie through 1990's New York City; through various jobs, lifestyles and girlfriends. We stay with him as he makes bad calls and learns valuable life lessons. After six years of molding himself to fit with current trends and putting his dreams on hold, Goodwillie succeeds in fulfilling his lifelong dream of writing. The result, "Seems Like a Good Idea At the Time" is his honest and beautiful first contribution to the literary world. To use Goodwillie's own words: "..and I rediscovered what writing can do. The everyday incidents made magic through words." The phrase describes the entire book accurately.

Two thumbs way up. If you enjoy memoirs, check this one out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.