Barbara's Reviews > The Hidden Staircase

The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene

May 03, 09

This was the very first Nancy Drew book I read. One of my grammer school classmates gave it to me--sometime when I was in the sixth grade?
Now remember, girls in the 1950's were a LOT less sophisticated than now. I loved this book. To me then, it was a riveting mystery--except for the fact that I thought Nancy was way too independent. (My parents would NEVER let me do that!)
Anyway this book led me into a world of Nancy adventure to beg and borrow for more. At that time the libraries rarely carried Nancy Drew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Staircase.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jody Oh my goodnes....the memories you just brought back!!
My first was the Secret of the Old Clock, which 1st in the series. I read them ALL! When I was pregnant and knew I was having a girl and Maurice wanted "Nancy" as her name....I started buying one a week and almost completed the series for her. Nancy loved them too. I have the 2 movies that were made with Bonita Granville. I now collect original copies of Nancy Drew....have a few of them!

Barbara I have bought some of the "reproductions" of the original Nancy Drew. I bought them about 10 years ago. I sure hope one of my granddaughters is as enthralled with them as myself!

Judy I read all the Nancy Drew (and Hardy Boys and some Bobsey Twins) books when I was young -- I don't know what happened to the books so I bought as many as I could for my kids to read (and I still have those). Life was simpler then, and the books are not sophisticated for today's times -- but I still like to read them.

message 4: by Karen LaVonis (last edited Dec 31, 2010 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen LaVonis It was my first Nancy Drew as well. Times must have not changed much by the 70's when I was a girl. I would buy my Nancy Drew books every time we visited relatives about 80 miles away. There was a book store in that town. We always stopped. My big event was to find a new Nancy Drew two dollars and change. Good memories.

Lauren it was the first i ever read, too