Amanda's Reviews > Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

May 03, 2009

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2009

Robert Langdon is once again called to duty to read the signs that are left behind by a secret society that was thought to be long extinguished… the Illuminati. While trying to find out who is behind the vicious murder of physicist Leonardo Vetra Langdon also finds himself hurrying to also find the antimatter that threatens to not only destroy Vatican City but also the failing faith in the Catholic religion. And of course he is paired with a woman whom he finds himself quickly falling in love with.

Say what you will about Dan Brown but the man does write a fantastically thrilling novel. Fans of the Da Vinci Code will find that Angels and Demons is very similar in writing style and plot (really all that changes is the search that Robert Langdon goes on). One of my favorite things about the Da Vinci Code was all the talk about the art of Da Vinci. In this novel our artist who hides clues to protect a secret is Botticelli. Again in the novel readers are given lengthy descriptions of the works of art as we find them pointing to the answer that Robert Langdon seeks. We also are given a look at the possibility of antimatter and some of the science that surrounds it. Many reviewers out there will criticize Brown because his “facts” are not all that accurate and his take on religion is always less than favorable. But readers lets me honest, Angels and Demons is after all a work of fiction. The fact is the novel is at times very thrilling and a page turner. As far as the characters go… well do not expect much depth or insight from the characters. At times they function just to move along the action. But again the book is a fun summer read.

I gave this book 4 out 5 because the ending was strange. I felt that there were two endings to this novel. One concludes the action we were all waiting for a great ending that took me by surprise. The other is one that functions to finish off the relationship between Robert and Vittoria which was easy to see the first time the two met. Although Brown tries to create sexual tension between the two really it is flat and if the second ending were left out of the book completely the book would have received 5 out of 5. All in all it is a great book for the beach or a rainy summer day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.

05/08/2009 page 134
05/08/2009 page 134
18.79% "I read this many years ago but the the movie coming out in a few days I wanted to read it again. It is better than the Da Vinci Code."
03/21/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/21/2014 page 12
1.0% "Re-reading March 21 2014"
03/28/2014 marked as: read