Daisiemae's Reviews > Captive

Captive by Scarlet Blackwell

May 04, 09

bookshelves: books-read-in-2009, books-reviewed-in-2009, e-book, easy-reading, male-male-romance-erotica
Read in May, 2009, read count: 2

Captive is the first book I have read by Scarlet Blackwell. It’s a short novel, about 89 pages or so, but it was a quick and fun read and I enjoyed it.

Gabriel Black is staying in his secluded cabin all alone. As a California native, he is a successful writer who lately has had a difficult time focusing on his latest novel. Gabriel is also troubled by the way his relationship with his boyfriend of years seems to be falling apart at the seams. Needing some time to himself, he had decided to brave the wilds of Alaska so he can concentrate on his next novel. One night while he is fixing dinner, he is ambushed by a handsome man packing a loaded weapon. The intruder tells Gabriel that he is on the run and plans to hold Gabriel against his will until he believes it is safe to leave.

Gabriel is horrified for two reasons. He is obviously afraid for his life and his unexpected attraction to his captor.

Ethan can’t believe his luck by coming across Gabriel and his secluded cabin. He just needs to warm up, rest and come up with a game plan before he can leave the cabin and the irritatingly handsome Gabriel behind. He is normally not attracted to men, but there is something about Gabriel and Ethan finds himself drawn to him.

There are some surprising twists and turns in this book. There were times where I didn’t like Ethan at all. He can be very gruff and even physically forceful and aggressive with Gabriel during Gabriel’s captivity. My big gripe about the book is I would have like to have known more about their relationship in general. Ethan was still a mystery to me in some ways, (I am doing my best not to spoil anything…lol) I really wish the novel would have been a tad longer. I would have enjoyed more of them when they are happy with one another, but that just may be my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ava (new)

Ava Great review, Shellie!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome review, Sis

message 3: by Shayne (new)

Shayne Fab review as always, Shell. I like the cover...handcuffs and all!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, why am I not surprised about that, Shay? :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I will say they do lovely covers. I'm not always impressed with the quality though.

Daisiemae Your right Shawn. I do like some of their authors though. I love their covers! They have some of the best.

I bet Jack likes the handcuffs too!

message 7: by Shayne (new)

Shayne Shame on you Shell!!! Have you been spying again? LOL

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack Great review, Shell! LMAO...you got that right:P

message 9: by Shayne (new)

Shayne *groans* both of you are killing me!

Daisiemae LOL. You'll be alright

message 11: by Sidda Lee (new) - added it

Sidda Lee your bad for my pocketbook daisie