Gertrude & Victoria's Reviews > A Strange Tale From East Of The River And Other Stories

A Strange Tale From East Of The River And Other Stories by Kafū Nagai

1948838
Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: japanese-library

For anyone who wants to feel, see, hear, and sample a taste of old Tokyo, this work, A Strange Tale from East of the River, is an enriching experience, particularly for those who have lived in Tokyo for an any extended period of time.

These fascinating stories are richly colored with the life of that period. The stories evoke a lingering feeling for that bygone era, where everything was simpler, yet, to the modern reader, feels more enchanting. Also, this collection would be an interesting read for anyone who has read a lot of contemporary Japanese fiction and wants a change of scenery, pace, and flavor from the modern Japanese settings we are familiar with.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Strange Tale From East Of The River And Other Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I fell in love with Kaneto Shindo's film of this: Bokuto Kidan.

Gertrude & Victoria He's made some great samurai films. Haven't seen Bokuto Kidan yet, but I'll take your word for it. It must be quite good.