Kristen's Reviews > Frost Fire

Frost Fire by Olivia Rivers

Feb 26, 13

bookshelves: demons, fantasy, magical, mystery, paranormal, romance, ya
Read on February 26, 2013

GENRE: YA Paranormal
THEME: Romance, Demons, Mage
RECEIVED: Blog Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
This was such an interesting concept and definitely original, using Mages and Demons as the main supernatural, it was such a refreshing idea. What’s even more amazing about this story is that a high school student wrote it. Olivia Rivers created such an amazing world with a fast paced story that kept me hooked and shocked until the very end. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future and already can tell the book world will see great things coming from this young writer.

Frost Fire follows Allai, she is a human girl who knows and lives among the demons. She has grown up knowing that the demons protect humans from the powerful mages that live in their world. But one day everything changes when the boy from her past comes and continues his promise of protecting her, even if it’s from the very people she thought she was safe with.

Allai is like most young female protagonist, she’s strong, determined and stubborn. Her world has been dramatically changed after discovering her true nature. She luckily has one person who she can truly trust, even though she believed he tried to kill her once. Near the middle of the book it was hard to figure out who were the good guys and who were the bad. I was rooting for something to go right for Allai and get the target off her head. There is more than meets the eye with her, lots of secrets that connect her to some very interesting and powerful people.

Drake was a young boy when he first met Allai and he made her a promise that he will always keep. He wants to protect her; he even goes against what his father wants for him. The readers will instantly love this bad boy, who is very much Allai’s love interest. Then there is Luke; there is so much about him that his mysterious and I just couldn’t figure this guy out. He I felt was a great father type figure for Allai and someone who the readers (and me) are going to want to know more about, or beg to know more about in the future books.

Overall a great start to a new young adult paranormal romance, there is never a dull moment. The character development was fantastic; I loved watching Drake and Allai learn from each other and try to adapt to their new situations. There are a ton of surprises, especially the ending, which was my favorite part. I’m still shocked. My only problem was that Allai became a little whiny at certain points and I’m not a fan of whiny leads. But otherwise I will be continuing this series and applaud Rivers for a great debut. Fast paced, action packed, romance and twist, this story has it all.
RECOMMENDATION:

This is a Young Adult books with a mix of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal magic. Fans of the Angelfire series by Courtney Allison Moulton and Brodi Ashtons Everbound series will enjoy Frost Fire by Olivia Rivers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost Fire.