Glitterfairy's Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

U 50x66
May 02, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: anyone who likes self-indulgent fantasy-trash a la Twilight
read count: 1

Read this if you like self-indulgent, "oh how cute I want to be her" type books where the beautiful young heroine is surrounded by males who want to take care of her. Bad things happen of course, so she needs lots of rescuing. Lots and lots of rescuing. Conversely, if you prefer well-written fantasy, go for something else - Jennifer Fallon or even Anne Rice, if you like.

There is some 'darkness' in this book, but it's clumsily executed. Again, if you want real bleak darkness go read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and then come back to this one and you'll realise how clumsily it's been done. There is some 'adult' content that I'm sure is supposed to convey passion and sexiness, but again, if you want to see it done well, go read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel trilogy. Then you'll realise how clumsily it's been done here.

I will admit a bit of the "oh how cuuuuuute" reverse-harem thing tugs at my female heartstrings, but there's nothing new here. This is pulp fiction marketed to the masses - so if you enjoy that sort of thing, you'll love this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.

Echo Apparently, you haven't actually read the book; Jaenelle is NOT beautiful, in fact one might even suffice to say that she is plain and quite possibly ugly. She is surrounded by men who resent the fact that they are bound to serve her, none of which she trusts. The book is not sexy and not intended to be so. It is malevolent and sadistic stemming from a long line of fear and the desire to have retribution.

Clare Could you recommend a Jennifer Fallon book to me? I agree with your review and would like to read a B or even A version of a fantasy book. I love Sharon Shinn, who is more mild romantic fantasy, and early Mercedes Lackey.

Glitterfairy Echo wrote: "Apparently, you haven't actually read the book; Jaenelle is NOT beautiful, in fact one might even suffice to say that she is plain and quite possibly ugly. She is surrounded by men who resent the f..."
Perhaps. In that case, I sorely regret giggling at all the thought of the King of Hell realistically going ga-ga over a little girl (but I blocked this book out of memory shortly after I read it, so it's all a little fuzzy). To each their own - though I highly recommend you go off and read a higher-calibre author, or better yet, watch BBC's "Rome" TV series, and tell me if you still feel the same. :)

Glitterfairy Clare wrote: "Could you recommend a Jennifer Fallon book to me? I agree with your review and would like to read a B or even A version of a fantasy book. I love Sharon Shinn, who is more mild romantic fantasy, an..."
Hi there,

Highly recommend her "Hythrun Chronicles" trilogy, starting with Wolfblade. It progresses into two other trilogies but I think this first trilogy is the best. Honestly one of the best books I've ever written - LOVE intelligent characters and intelligent writing. Slightly less good, but still very good, is Sara Douglass - you can pretty much start with "Battleaxe" (Book 1 of the Axis trilogy) and go from there.

A classic B-level fantasy book is anything written by David Eddings. If you haven't read him yet, do so now!

Mercedes Lackey is a bit of a sentimental favourite of mine - repetitive and angsty/a bit too predictable in a very teenager-y kind of way (teenage reader mind - I actually think the writer herself is a pretty cool lady), but I still really enjoyed her books until I cottoned on to how repetitive they were (same goes for Brian Jacques who I read as a kidlet. Needless to say, I feel reading these two authors is like a fantasy reader's rite of passage, and some of my friends and I STILL yell 'Eulalia!' to each other when it's been too long a day at work, just to make each other laugh).

Clare Thanks. I read Medalon, and loved the first part, not so much the last third. I adored David Eddings Belgarion series and not so much his later work. Same with Mercedes Lackey - I liked Talia and Vanyel and the Oathbound series, but her 500 kingdoms stuff drove me mad.

Glitterfairy Ooh, just thought of some others you could try - Scott Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss. The latter's "Name of the Wind" absolutely blew me away, and Scott Lynch's "Lies of Locke Lamora" was one of the cleverest things I've ever read. A sense of Victorian England juxtaposed with Roman elements? Pirates? Believable mages? I'M SO THERE! (Was one of those books I read, and figured the sequel couldn't possibly top. Not only was I wrong, but last time I checked there will be another *five* books coming out in the series. Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!)

Oh, and Robin Hobb's books too! (I prefer her Assassin's Apprentice/Liveship Traders/Fool's trilogies)

Harlowe It sounds to me like Echo was actually the one that didn't read the books. Your review was spot on.