Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Blood Sins

Blood Sins by Kay Hooper

May 10, 09

bookshelves: 2009, 3-stars, arc, not-owned, paranormal
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

Blood Sins is the 11th book about Bishop's Special Crimes Unit and the second book in the Blood-trilogy. I haven't read ANY of Kay Hooper's earlier books, so was somewhat anxious to see how utterly lost I would be, by jumping straight into the middle of the action, so to speak.

Fortunately, not much. Granted, there were naturally references I didn't get and background stories I had to guess at, but mostly the important elements were well described, and I had no problems following the plot of this book by itself, even if I did find some of the characters quite two-dimensional because of the lack of time spent on their characterisations - probably assumed well-known territory.

I rather enjoyed the book regardless though. It was interesting and the plot engaging. It did seem like Kay Hooper couldn't quite decide on her genre though. It seemed to be marketed as a horror novel, but I was left remarkably unspooked by it... (but whether that's just because I've been conditioned by Stephen King's novels, I couldn't say ;) ). The main characters never seemed in any real danger, and thus I was left firmly planted in the middle of my seat the entire time. I think that, more than anything else, is the reason for my average rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Sins.