Bob Redmond's Reviews > Hate That Cat

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech

May 02, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in April, 2009

Oh, a poetry book! I thought it said "novel." And was short. No, it's definitely poetry... lots of poems in here. Hey, there is kind of a link. And the poems are not that bad. Actually pretty good. She quotes William Carlos Williams. Hey, now a whole POEM by WCW. And Langston Hughes. And TS Eliot. And some from kids in the class. Holy cow, I can't believe that happened with her mother. Dang, this is a good book. Who is this lady? Oh, she won the Newberry--I thought that was just hype. This book is so short and good! I like the poems in here, they are not stupid! Someone OUGHT to be writing so intelligently about cats and dogs, and kids, and poetry, and imagination, blind amazing imagination like we have when we are kids, when even a simple assignment about something we HATE (cats!) can become a minor symphony, literary exercise, revelatory story, history lesson, good time. Now it's on the poetry shelf right, and rightly, between Stephen Crane and e.e. cummings.

WHY I READ THIS BOOK: Another book I got at the 2008 book industry convention. It survived several purges of those two huge boxes of books, and was small enough to take on my honeymoon, where I thought I might read a book or two--instead reading became a delicious part of the delicious time. This one was a little reading snack one afternoon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate That Cat.