Kim's Reviews > Murderland Part 1:h8

Murderland Part 1 by Garrett Cook

Nov 10, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-and-sci-fi, dystopian-apocalyptic
Read in October, 2009

It really isn't fair for me to review this as I'm sure I was not the intended audience. I love dystopian satire, and I thought that's what this was, but it appears to be written by some gamer in his basement. I can't give an honest review, because I just couldn't finish this crass, over-the-top commentary, despite the fact that it's tiny. I felt dirty reading it. Perhaps it is like the type of book those who enjoy horror punk or SAW movies or Grand Theft Auto. That's certainly not me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murderland Part 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garrett (new) - added it

Garrett Cook Thanks for your opinion, Kim and I can only assume your purchase. I am sickened by Saw's lack of humor and perspective, actually and Grand Theft Audio makes me worry about kids. Those were two things I had in mind as I was writing this, that our moral relativism was getting so out of hand that we enjoy simulating car theft and we lionize people who rap about killing rivals. It is by no means a pleasant book and I hope this unpleasantness combined with the darkness of the satire does not lead to alienating more readers.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim I appreciate your response and that you are obviously committed to your work. I had honestly hoped that it would be something that I could share with teens during our dystopian/satire unit. Even though its message may have been to show us how ridiculous it is that we revel in this violence as entertainment, I don't think I'd be able to pass that off to the parents as an excuse as to why I used it.

I did, however, mention it to a few highly intelligent and mature teens that may be able to look past the language and darkness and see the point and whom also enjoy bizarro fiction. I do truly commend your efforts and wish you luck with the rest of the series. I just fear that younger readers will be motivated for the wrong reasons and will miss the message.

Since I'm from near the town where the four teens hacked up a mother and daughter with a machete recently and then bragged about it on Facebook, I'd surely hope the right message will get out there.

message 3: by Garrett (new) - added it

Garrett Cook Kim wrote: "I appreciate your response and that you are obviously committed to your work. I had honestly hoped that it would be something that I could share with teens during our dystopian/satire unit. Even ..."

Yeah, not something for a high school English class but thank you for having taken it into consideration. Media violence is a very complicated thing that needs to be tempered by intelligence and ethics. A society that can't confront the id is a society ready to implode but if there isn't an understanding of consequence, the meaning and the intention of the act the catharsis of sex and violence isn't there. Media violence should be a form of cultural and spiritual dialogue, not just another thing to get high on.