Alena's Reviews > Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

May 02, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult

I love the Artemis Fowl book series, but in my opinion the heavily-stylized artwork of the graphic novel really detracts from the story -- to the point where I'm too busy shielding my eyes from the lumpy, mutated character designs to actually read any of the text.

I generally enjoy graphic novels (as anyone who has seen my manga and comic book collection can attest), but I find the presentation of this specimen fairly uninteresting. For example, looking at the front cover: Does this picture make you want to dive immediately into the story? Does it give the slightest hint what the story is about, or even what genre it is? Nothing about this version attracts a reader or draws him in unless he is already familiar with the source material -- in which case the graphic novel will be a bland review, since the text is largely a copy/paste from the original book. The artwork doesn't help, either, as some of the characters are really almost painful to look at; I physically cringed looking at Butler's deformed neck and pin-sized head. This is a popular art style for some applications, but it's not something I want to look at for the length of a book.

There's no advantage to reading the comic book version when you can get a more complete experience by reading the original novel -- and the pictures painted in the reader's mind by the novel text will undoubtedly be more fulfilling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.

03/05/2016 marked as: read