Jacob's Reviews > Twilight

bookshelves: 2007-2009
Read from May 01 to 04, 2009

November 2011

I've been thinking.

So, Edward, he's this vampire, right? Supernatural, immortal, bloodthirsty creature of darkness sparkles. Over a century old. Became a vampire in 1918 while dying of Influenza--if my memory of the book is correct, his mother begged Carlisle, a vampire masquerading as a human doctor, to 'turn' him in order to save his life. Imagine that--a woman so desperate to save her son that she knowingly gives him over to a vampire, sacrificing his humanity to let him live, turning him into a blood-drinking monster just so he can survive, and outlive her--possibly forever...

All I want to know is, why--why, oh why--oh why, OH WHYYY DIDN'T STEPHENIE MEYER TELL THAT STORY INSTEAD OF TWILIGHT?

That is all.
44 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

05/01/2009 page 1
0.2% "I swore I'd never read this, but War and Peace left me no choice. Ah, well. Bottoms up!" 2 comments
05/01/2009 page 28
5.62% "Is it over yet?"
05/01/2009 page 110
22.09% "I keep fighting back the urge to laugh. This can't be the reaction Ms. Meyer was hoping for."
05/02/2009 page 196
39.36% "Edward can't read Bella's mind. So...Bella has no Delta brainwave? She's her own grandma? Will there be a time-travel mishap later?" 2 comments
05/03/2009 page 348
69.88% "*Seizure*"

Brad I never thought of that, but yes!

message 2: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin You read this instead of War and Peace? I am proud I have not been sucked down the sparkly glitter hole of a series.

Jacob No, I read this after War and Peace. After forcing my way through a dull, plodding, 1600+ page Russian epic, I needed to read something about a hot vampire just to recover.

message 4: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin I guess I am the odd person out-I liked reading W&P.
I guess you still looking for hot vampire lit then.

Jacob Brad wrote: "I never thought of that, but yes!"

Novel, novella, maybe just a short story. Told from the mother's pov, as her son "grows up," in a way--except, instead of going off to college and finding a girl and starting a family, he's off being a vampire. Could be surreal, could be something sad, could have weird religious undertones--but really, it would be wayyy more interesting than this book was.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I needed to read something about a hot vampire just to recover.

That doesn't explain why you are reading this.

Jacob No, I read this a few years ago. I just didn't bother writing anything about it until now.

message 8: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin It is just as good as why the series is a best seller and movie series. Because...........

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Try Tanya Huff. At least she has strong women and vampires who put out (before marriage).

message 10: by Moira (new) - rated it 1 star

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "No, I read this after War and Peace. After forcing my way through a dull, plodding, 1600+ page Russian epic, I needed to read something about a hot vampire just to recover."

DUDE, there are these authors called Amanda Cross and Peter S. Beagle and Agatha Christie and Terry Pratchett, you know. They write fun relaxing entertaining books that DON'T SUCK.

message 11: by Moira (new) - rated it 1 star

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "No, I read this a few years ago. I just didn't bother writing anything about it until now."

Wait, I thought you JUST read War and Peace. SHOW ME YOUR POETIC LICENSE AND REGISTRATION.

Jacob Moira wrote: "Wait, I thought you JUST read War and Peace."

Nope, read and reviewed way back in 2009. I just float it every few months because I'm a vote whore.

message 13: by Ruben (new)

Ruben Well, at least you liked this a little more than War and Peace,
is that a positive thing? ;p

Jocelyn Jacob wrote: "No, I read this after War and Peace. After forcing my way through a dull, plodding, 1600+ page Russian epic, I needed to read something about a hot vampire just to recover."

Haha. If I needed something to recover from something big and plodding I prooooobably wouldn't choose Twilight, though.

Jacob I do notice that you give this two stars, while you gave the Wise Man's Fear one star...wow. That's saying something.

I usually give two stars to books if I don't really like them but still recognize that they have some value, and that I probably wasn't the intended audience. One star is for books I just hate. And I hated WMF.

Jocelyn Mmm. Yeah, that's kinda what I do too. In fact, I've recently been considering bumping up some of my Twilight ratings to two stars, maybe even three. Twilight's a weird series for me because my opinion on it is constantly changing.

Have you read the rest of the series?

message 17: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Your position makes sense to me, Jacob. Twilight has at least provoked some interesting discussions, while Wise Man's Fear seem to only provoke lame trolling.

Jacob Jocelyn wrote: "Have you read the rest of the series? "

Nope. Saw the first two movies though. Loved the surreal Stepford Vampire bits (Carlisle in the hospital, meeting Edward's family, the brief elevator scene w/ vampire Dakota Fanning near the end of New Moon) and shirtless Jacob, of course (although I've always been Team Alice), but other than that I wasn't too impressed.

Sarah That would be a very good idea instead of the over used romance genre.
I used to love this stupid book and then I got a older and little bit more wiser.

Mizuki Jacob, I like your creature of darkness sparkles remark with my whole heart...

Jenny Hamel Honestly, I think these novels would be 100x better had they been told in Edward's voice, from his perspective. Bella is the main part of these books that drives me up the wall - I can't stand her. She is so uninteresting, shallow, weak... and dependent on everyone around her to make her feel like she has purpose. She is the worst kind of person for Edward to fixate on. Bleh. I actually was really enjoying what was released of Midnight Sun. I think Meyers should re-do all of them from Edward's perspective .. it would give a lot of life to the whole saga.