J.M.'s Reviews > Don't Stop the Carnival

Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk

Oct 16, 2011

liked it
Read from October 13 to 16, 2011

I picked this up on the clearance shelf, probably for no other reason than the cover attracted my attention. I had no clue Jimmy Buffet had helped the author write a musical based on this book.

The blurb calls the book a non-stop, rip-roaring comedy. I admit the story is non-stop, but it wasn't exactly laugh-out-loud funny. I found it humorous and enjoyed the writing, but it wasn't the funniest thing I've ever read.

Also, I was a little put out by the narrator's prejudices against both blacks and gays. There was no indication as to when the story was set, but I assumed it was current. However, the narrator makes a lot of throwaway comments about Negros and whites mingling, and is highly offended when he learns the white woman he's falling for is the girlfriend of the island's black governor. And don't get me started on the slurs against homosexuals. The narrator works with Broadway stars as a publicity agent, so why he isn't more open-minded, I don't know.

Overall, I enjoyed the story but would've liked it more without the bias written into it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Stop the Carnival.

Rebecca Herman Wouk was born in 1915 if that helps place the prejudice you felt. Of course it's absurdly out-dated in my opinion but does fit the time period.

message 2: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan The book was published in 1965. Those prejudices were run-of-the-mill. It's not acceptable today, but in that day and age, it was.