Luann's Reviews > Elsewhere

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: gr-authors, 2011, young-adult, fantasy
Read from October 02 to 04, 2011

This wasn't a favorite, but I did start enjoying it more about half way through. I think I finally got used to Liz's character - and about half way through is when she started to grow up a bit. She was such a whiny teen for the first half!

I do think this could be a great book for sparking some discussion about the afterlife and making the most of the time you have in this life. It certainly made me want to discuss those concepts with others.

There were some things that really bothered me about "Elsewhere," though. Probably my least favorite thing about that world is the concept of growing younger or living backwards. That is just such a strange thing and made for some really weird situations in the book. I believe we will continue to progress in the life after this one. Growing younger and eventually becoming a baby again just doesn't fit in with my belief system at all.

I did really like the concept of dogs in heaven and the fact that humans and dogs can communicate! That's something I really hope for in the next life.

This is for older YA since there is some discussion of sex. Liz spends time observing family and friends from observation decks in Elsewhere. She views her parents having sex (ew! why?) and also sees a best friend lose her virginity. It isn't a huge part of the story, but it is there. Again, I say, why?

So while I did start to enjoy this more during the second half, this isn't really a book I recommend - unless you are looking for a book that will spark some discussion and thoughts on the afterlife.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elsewhere.

10/02/2011 page 1
10/02/2011 page 118
43.0% "Not a favorite so far."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Philip Huh... I had forgotten about those scenes, and they didn't seem as gratuitous or provocative to me... As someone who has a couple kids, it's easy to forget how big of a deal it once was.

Luann It isn't a huge part of the story. And it isn't the main reason why I didn't like the story very much - but it certainly didn't help! Although I probably wouldn't have even remembered it by the time I got to the end, except that it is a book on the Battle of the Books list that my young niece will be reading. So I was reading with her in mind.

Philip Ah... it's always different when you have someone in mind... It's like watching a movie you recommended with a group...

So what's "Battle of the Books?"

message 4: by Luann (last edited Oct 16, 2011 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Luann They don't do it at my school, so I don't know a whole lot about it - just what I hear from my sister and her daughter. Here's their website: http://www.battleofthebooks.org/

ETA: Well, that's one website for battle of the books. Looks like there are quite a few out there, each with their own reading list. I don't know which one they do.