PurplyCookie's Reviews > Death: The Time of Your Life

Death by Neil Gaiman

May 27, 09

bookshelves: comics-series, mythic-fiction, graphic-novel, sandman-library
Read in May, 2009, read count: 2

Morpheus' sister, Death, returns for a second solo outing in a haunting tale of music, mortality, friendship and the power of love in the face of death. In the hands of most ordinary writers, this story would've been a disaster. It juggles a myriad of complex issues, such as sexuality, the fleeting nature of fame, the multiple meanings of love, desire, and commitment, and the value of friendship and life. But this Gaiman we're talking about so rest assured, he's going to take us for a ride that leaves Sandman fans picking up clues as allusions to The Sandman story arcs.

Foxglove is struggling personally even as her fame shoots through the roof--she wonders whether she should stay in the closet, and whether she should stay with Hazel and their son Alvie. Hazel is struggling too; she wants to know the value of her relationship, and to save her son's life, most of all. Death listens, understandingly, patiently. And because of her, Hazel and Foxglove realize what matters most to them.

My advice would be for readers to follow the story arc backwards to "The Sandman: The Doll's House" where Foxglove's "small world" is perhaps at its tightest. You will meet someone who knows Donna Cavanaugh, before she turns into Foxglove. You will meet someone who will later share an apartment building with Foxglove and Hazel. You will find several allusions to, and a newspaper clipping of, a defining moment in Foxglove's life. This story is woven into Gaiman's existing tapestry with care, subtlety, and expert craftsmanship.

"Death: The Time of Your Life" also includes a gallery of favourite renderings of Death by the likes of Dave McKean, Bill Sienkiewicz and many others. Though it lacks the immediacy and emotional power of "Death: The High Cost Of Living", this is still a captivating companion piece.

Book Details:

Title Death: The Time of Your Life
Author Neil Gaiman
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Steven! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Arindam! :)