Bethany Andrews's Reviews > 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy

13 Days by L.A. Starks

Aug 31, 07

bookshelves: bookofthemomentreviews, fiction
Read in June, 2007

"13 Days" is a thriller which unfolds within the confines of the cooperate oil industry. Lynn is a woman on the move; its rare to find females in her line of work, but over the years she has managed to prove herself to all her male coworkers. She has just convinced the company she works for to take over an oil refinery, and from day one of the merge, nothing goes right. All around here things are falling apart; literally and figuratively. In "13 Days," we follow Lynn as she struggles with accidents at the refinery which result in multiple deaths, death threats on her own life, disloyal employees, the declining health of her father, her sister's sudden move to Paris, the tension in her romantic relationship, and a conspiracy which seems to be intent on killing her.

Thrillers aren't my favorite type of book. Often, I figure them out early on and then find myself bored. When I read this book, I certainly didn't figure anything out ahead of time...most of the time I found myself struggling to keep up with who was who. The oil industry is not something I know a whole lot about, other than that the price of gasoline is outrageous these days. The author spends a good deal of time trying to define key terms in the oil industry so that average joes like myself will understand what's happening. As a result, a lot of the dialogue between characters feels forced and unnatural. Other than that, the story is a good one..it transported me into a world I knew little to nothing about ahead of time..and it kept me entertained through the majority of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 Days.