Bethany Andrews's Reviews > The First Seal:

The First Seal by Sean Harris

Aug 31, 07

bookshelves: bookofthemomentreviews, historicalfiction
Recommended for: historical fiction buffs
Read in July, 2007

"The First Seal" hooked me from the first page. As we all know, I'm a historical fiction fanatic, and this novel did not disappoint. From what I've read in other reviews that of this book, the historical facts contained in the story are being called into question; accurate or not, the story itself is engaging and compelling and I personally couldn't put it down.

The story is a combination of narratives; one stemming from the present time, and one from the 1500's. The two weave back and forth in a way that is easy to follow and an effective way of advancing the plot line. In the present day story we learn of a mysterious archealogical find, a stone tablet discovered in New Mexico, where it by all rights, should NOT be. Murder and mayhem ensue, as all parties involved in the story have different reasons for wanting to get their hands on the tablet.

Mixed in we also have the story set in the 1500's, of how the tablet came to be in New Mexico. The author weaved these two stories together in a very satisfying way... In the present day we are uncovering the tablet, while simultaneously in the past, we are fighting to bury it. From here we come to the ultimate showdown ending, which leaves me hopeful for a sequel...

If you're looking for a great story to get lost in, I think I've found it for you...you won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Seal.