Summer's Reviews > Shades of Dark

Shades of Dark by Linnea Sinclair

Mar 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: mental-powers, romance, science-fiction-double-feature, sci-fi-romance

I kinda bounced between 2 and 3 stars with this one. I loved the first book in the series, 'Gabriel's Ghost', to pieces. However, I felt like this was a completely different book. It had a much larger focus on character drama and dynamics than in the previous book, which wasn't necessarily a negative. The majority of the book focused on Sully and Chaz's relationship with Ren and most of the other characters making less appearances. I also think Sully must have gotten some kind of brain transplant between the first and second book. There were some excuses for things he did in this book, but nonetheless he does some pretty mean and morally bad things in this book. And personally if I was Chaz I'm not sure I would have made the same decisions. It got the the point where towards the end of the book I really didn't like Sully very much anymore. It also felt like a few plot strings were left open but I got a little lost and confused towards the end so I may have just missed some things.

I wanted to give it a higher rating since I was really exited for this book and Linnea's writing kept me from giving up on it. But with the problems I had with the plot and some of the things the character did, I just couldn't give it a better rating than that. I'm still holding hope for the next book in the series though. I've loved all of the other books by this series, and one book isn't going to ruin that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Dark.