Chanelle's Reviews > The Wonder of Boys

The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian

May 03, 09

Read in May, 2009

Since I have agreed with most of the books I've read I was beginning to wonder if I have a mind of my own or if I just believe everything I read. Well, this book gave me my answer.

I don't agree with the majority of the author's stances on what is appropriate boy behavior and how parents should interact with them. He claims it is okay and actually good for parents to "diss" their sons into behaving correctly. And there were so many other things that I was baffled by that I had to ask my husband's opinion of what he thought to see if maybe I was just being an woman. But, my husband agreed with me. He said that many of the things that the author taught are the norm with boys right now, but that it doesn't make it right. Especially if we are raising men and not "guys".

The author also seemed to constantly talk about all the learning that he has done about boys, but then would only state a couple sentences on what it was and how we, as parents, can help them. For instant ~ When he says what a boy needs from a mother it is basically the feeding and cuddling that is done when they are babies and that we (mothers) should let them go at kindergarten age. Then he skips from kindergarten to early adolescence and again states that we need to let them be. Gee ~ that was a lot of help (can you understand my sarcastic tone? ;) )

So basically ~ I DO NOT recommend this book! ;) If you want to know a little more about how boys work and what makes them tick, year by year, read "So You Want to Raise a Boy?" by W. Cleon Skousen. It pegs my son exactly and has helped me to understand him so much better.

Even though I didn't learn anything new from this book to help me with my son, I learned that I do have opinions separate from authors! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonder of Boys.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jorgina (new)

Jorgina Thank you so much for this comment. I saw many moms with this book in tow at some of our co-ops. Glad to have your opinion. I do have, So you want to raise a boy by skousen, but don't really like it yet. I'll know more when I finish it.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Wow. Thanks for your insights! I'll pass on this one too.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul I happen to be male and I thank you for what you wrote here. This author is crazy. his factoids aren't supposed by solid evidence and he it seems has mommy issues. I don't mean to say that to trivalize things but he's generalizing his problems. I think men are more emotional and if they show emotionless biasses it 's only because we put them in an emotional straight jacket, that's environment not biology.