PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Te of Piglet

The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff

May 08, 09

bookshelves: religious, philosophy
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

I loved "The Tao of Pooh" since I felt like I was being taught Taoist philosophy from a new perspective. A refreshing perspective that I have never felt when studying Chinese Philosophy in college.

That's what I naturally thought that I was getting into with the "The Te of Piglet." But I was quite disappointed to find out that there's much more ranting than philosophy in this book. Hoff flirts with the idea briefly, but instead uses Piglet as a soap box to attack the Eeyores of the world. But why Piglet as the embodiment of the Virtue Te? In many ways, Piglet may appear the least significant of the Pooh characters. Yet he is the only one of them to change, to grow, to become more than what he was in the first place. And in the end, he does this not by denying his smallness, but by applying it, for the good of others.

The one standout out of the entire book was the chapter on "The Eeyore Effect". Especially hilarious and illuminating at the same time was the story about 'The Critics' wherein a Hindu, a Rabbi, and a Critic were caught in a thunderstorm. I felt that the chapter "The Tigger Tendency" could have been explored in a less scathing way in connection to our modern-day tendencies and attitudes.

It went downhill from there, what with Hoff's long winded exploration of "Things As They Might Be" which only served as a soapbox for all that he thinks is wrong in the world and in society today. The only memorable part of it was the Chinese Story of "The Well by the Road" which examines how one's perception of given situations are altered based on where you're coming from or what side of the fence you happen to be on.

Maybe the "good" things are tests, possibly difficult ones at that, and the "bad" things are gifts to help us grow: problems to solve, situations to learn how to avoid, habits to change, conditions to accept, lessons to learn, things to transform--all opportunities to find Wisdom, Happiness, and Truth.

To fill the book up, the author seems to wind himself into a twisted rage, berating everything in the world which is not him, for being shallow, self-obsessed, and destructive. In the end, what you get is a lengthy rant about the authors' attacks towards Confucianism Christianity, Feminism, Republicans, critics, computers, scattered with a few quotes from the "Winnie the Pooh" books as mere dressing.

Book Details:

Title The Te of Piglet
Author Benjamin Hoff
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Te of Piglet.

05/01/2009 page 137