LeeAnn's Reviews > The Bookseller of Kabul

The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad

Apr 30, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

I have decided that Afghanistan and her peoples is a sad land. Perhaps the reason they have not moved forward is as the final pages suggest, that there is a gap caused by the intellectuals not moving back in. Education is desperately needed, especially goodness and wisdom is needed, but how to gain that? It expertly chronicles despair in one family's lives, the lack chronic lack of hope. By exposing revealing events in each family lives and then juxtaposing their events on the larger backdrop, the reader is led to see that the challenges on the political (power seeking) front is but an extension to the individual roles of each member and family of its society.

It was interesting how everything cycles back to the strength of righteous family relationships. When the family paradigms are lacking in wisdom, so seems the political strength and stability of the country.

Finally, I was led again to gratitude for being privileged to be born in the USA, where I can make my own decisions rather than always be acted upon.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookseller of Kabul.