mich's Reviews > How to Lead a Life of Crime

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

Mar 18, 13

bookshelves: ya
Read in February, 2013 — I own a copy

Who wouldn't love a book about an exclusive academy for criminals? Cool right? From reading the synopsis, I was expecting a certain type of story and it actually turned out to be a bit darker and grittier than I anticipated which was a nice surprise and for the most part, I liked it.

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book and getting to know our main character, Flick. I usually don't fully buy it when a female author writes a male first person narrative but Miller knows what she's doing and in this case, it worked. The writing is good -- straightforward and edgy and easy to read. I especially thought the parts with Peter Pan were fantastic (you'll see), set with a mood that held just the right touch of eeriness combined with a hint of melancholy to make for some really great scenes.

As always, I'm a sucker for the academy setting and I enjoyed following Flick's maneuvering within the ranks of the elite there. I was completely sucked into the story and barely came up for air in the first half.

Unfortunately, my total and absolute enjoyment of the book didn't last and I know exactly where my interest starting fading --

(view spoiler)

I'd actually give this 3.5 stars, but will round it up instead of down here. Overall, I liked it. (But, by the way, what was up with the whole 'F--ing' thing? This book can detail graphic violence and murder, but what, the characters can't have real potty mouths? Weird.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Lead a Life of Crime.