Heather's Reviews > Leona & Me, Helen Marie

Leona & Me, Helen Marie by LuAnn Brobst Staheli

Feb 24, 2013

bookshelves: historical, middle-grade
Read in February, 2013

A delightful middle grade novel from award-winning author, Lu Ann Staheli. Readers will fall in love with Helen Marie, a precocious seven-year-old, who looks up to her older sister, Leona Mae, the two of them getting into trouble more often or not (think Laura Ingalls…). I laughed out loud at Helen Marie’s antics and loved her relationship with her mother and father. Set in 1922 southern Indiana, the family faces financial hardships, like so many around them. But they are blessed with a humble life, rich with country living, and take pride in hard work.

Although the main character is seven, I enjoyed the story immensely and now my daughter is reading it too. I love reading a book I can share with my family. I was reminded of Richard Peck when I read the novel, with the heart-warming writing style and the small town historical setting (works by Richard Peck include Here Lies the Librarian and A Long Way from Chicago).

Leona & Me, Helen Marie is hands-down one of the most charming novels I’ve read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leona & Me, Helen Marie.