Tatiana's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Dec 25, 10

bookshelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy

Updated 12/25/2010 How naive I was two years ago! Poor me didn't know what would become of the new promising writer Richelle Mead and this series. What started out as a new kind of paranormal series where romance took a back seat to political intrigue and adventure, became just another money-milking venture slapped together in a matter of weeks and stuffed in hardcovers for maximum profit. I feel mildly ashamed for recommending these books to so many people now. So I am updating this review to make up for my past sin of promoting this series.

If you are curious what Vampire Academy buzz is all about, check it out at your own risk. First three books are quite good, written with care, love and respect for readers. Everything after brings embarrassment to the author's name. It is nothing more than cheap lifeless melodrama mixed with equally cheap action and poor characterization.

I am reducing all my VA rating by 1 star, just 'cause...

Original review

This series was recommended to me by those readers who were extremely disappointed by the ending of the Twilight Saga (Breaking Dawn) and I am grateful for this recommendation. This vampire series has everything: action, love, friendship, great mythology. This first books starts a little slow, but soon becomes very engaging, and the 3rd book in the series is just fantastic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joyzi very nice review Tatiana^^

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I liked the first 4 books of the series - I did read book 4 first, so I didn't know how much it pissed off everyone. Great review, Tatiana.

Sreeparna I totally agree with you.I am reading this series right now and to be honest I have failed to discover the craze of the series so far.3rd book is the best till now.I am on the fourth and I almost put it down twice already.
Nice to see I am not the only one who has complaints about this series.

message 4: by Megan (last edited Dec 26, 2010 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Great re-reveiw, Tatiana :) I actually thought the series went well until the very end of #4 when you know who comes back. If a certain someone had been rendered, ah.. truly dead, the series could have moved forward.

message 5: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 26, 2010 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana Looking back, I do think that Dimitri should have been killed off. All crappy developments in terms of magic and spirit-binding got out of control because Dimitri had to be restored - something that had never been done before.

I remember not caring about Blood Promise much except the last few chapters. Too much reminiscing and too many new characters that never played any significant role in the story. BP was a definite beginning of the end for me.

Albie46 Ooooh, I just remember when she staked him the second time in BP I kept thining "oh, finally!". I think it would have made a better story if she'd had to kill him.

I had to take some stars off my ratings too.

Megan Tatiana wrote: "Looking back, I do think that Dimitri should have been killed off. All crappy developments in terms of magic and spirit-binding got out of control because Dimitri had to be restored - something tha..."

Yeah, the story was a bit lame & I agree too many characters that don't add to the larger picture. Even so, that should have been a great opportunity for Rose to do some soul searching & growing up. The book did get much better once she was D's captive, and the staking on the bridge was totally awesome.... that's the point when she should have gone back to St.Vlads & Lissa a bigger, stronger, better, more mature and wiser person. But.... we all know the tailspin the series started to take =(

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Actually, maybe if Dimitri had succeeded in making Rose a Strigoi in the 4th book, the craziness of the 5th book made way more sense?

Albie46 Megan wrote:that's the point when she should have gone back to St.Vlads & Lissa a bigger, stronger, better, more mature and wiser person. But.... we all know the tailspin the series started to take =(
.."

Instead she just jumped into bed with Adrian! lol

Megan Albie46 wrote: "Instead she just jumped into bed with Adrian! lol

Still like Tatiana's first couple of lines from her Spirit Bound review - those were excellent observations!..."

Yes, that did sum the book up quite nicely, lol. There were earlier warning signs, but #5 seems to be the point at which the entire series was definate junk. Did you read the final book?

Albie46 Megan wrote: Did you read the final book?

Was this to me?

Yeah, I was madly chomping at the bit to get this book, only cause I'd read the entire series by now, but because of the 4th one (I pretty much HATED that book) I had really lowered my expectations.
I enjoyed the last one, simply because it gave Rose and Dimitri the HEA that I had wanted from book 1.
Except by book 4 I was kind of hoping that she staked him, end of series, much crying and nashing of teeth, but at least it would have been interesting.

I hated what she did to Adrian. I liked him. Not for Rose, and didn't appreciate the make out scene in the fifth book with him, but I still don't think he deserved what he got dealt in book six.

The dream sequences annoyed the heck out of me. Annoying plot device. If you're going to tell a story form multiple peoples points of views then write it third person!! Grrrr.

I honestly can't think of the last series I read that ended on a really good last book. Maybe the MI series...and I'm not even a big fan of that, just at least the fourth book was mostly consistent with the earlier ones.
Sorry I'm rambling.!

message 12: by Megan (last edited Dec 26, 2010 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Albie46 wrote: "Megan wrote: Did you read the final book?

Was this to me?..."

Yes, it was ~ I have an unhealthy love/hate relationship with VA, lol! And love to hear other people's take on it. I loved Dimitri (once upon a time) and although it would have been painful for him to die, the series would not have taken such a bad turn had he really been staked in #4.

Adrian ~ I like him, but feel badly for him only to a point. Yes, Rose was horrible to him, but sometime around #5 he quit being taken advantage of, and let Rose walk all over him. He is ~ what, early 20's? Hanging out with high school kids & letting an impulsive, immature, albeit sex-ay girl walk all over him? Yes, we know that Adrian clearly has issues. But.... ah, haven't you ever seen a person get walked all over in a relationship and although you feel sorry for them in the beginning, after awhile you start to lose respect for that person because you know and they know that they are being used badly. And even so, they let the relationship continue. I mean, what incentive does Rose really have to treat Adrian better? He lets her use him when the big D isn't around ~ even though he knows she still has intense feelings for Dimitri. In Adrian, Rose has the perfect rebound boyfriend because he takes her crap and keeps comming back for more. Ah, I should quit my rant ;) Regardless, I was glad to see Adrian finally stand up to Rose in #6.

What is the MI series?

Tatiana "Mortal Instruments"

I've never been a huge Adrian fan, but at least I was amused by and respected him. But later in the series not only did he become a doormat, but his mooch attitude to life completely turned me off. We all like to complain how Rose took his money, etc, but he himself was no better, spending his daddy's money. I like my characters flawed to a point.

message 14: by Megan (last edited Dec 26, 2010 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Oh, thank you Tatiana! No, I don't even think I made it halfway through the first MI book ~ what, City of Glass? Well, whatever, I didn't finish it.

I'm glad someone else also sees Adrian that way ~ I've read so many "poor Adrian" reviews, but Adrian really needs to shoulder some of the blame. Besides, wasn't Adrian himself a player? Remember when everyone first met him and he had this horrible reputation as a partier & womanizer? So, he's not really this innocent naiive guy.

Anyway, Adrian really did have a nice yell at Rose in #6. Maybe he will be a new person in the new series. Did I read somehwere that Georgia Kincaid is ending? Perhaps Mead will now be able to focus on Bloodlines & make all of the extras from VA great. I doubt it, but it could happen ;)

Tatiana I finished City of Bones alright, only it all ended with a lot of ranting on my part:)

You are right, Megan, he was a player and a bad boy. But bad boys are no longer attractive when they become doormats.

And yes, last succubus book is out next August I think. I would like to think Mead will concentrate on Bloodlite and make it good, but I am sure she has some more projects planned.

Albie46 My fav of the MI was the second book, I think that was City of Ashes? I loved the snark and the one liners. The last one was okay for me, but I did roll the eyes a bit at the long lost evil brother and the coming back to life from the point of death part. (I think those happened in that book).

And you're both right - Adrian was a total womaniser and player, but I do think he did feel quite a bit for Rose.
And I think how she broke up with him was still in bad taste.

Megan Just about everything Rose did was in bad taste, lol! ;)

message 18: by Christine (last edited Jan 07, 2011 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine Great review. I agree with you. The first three books were great, but the others lost me. I thought that they were rushed and had pretty much meaningless plots. The first three books had care, love and respect (as you stated) for the readers and had the readers wanting more.

Ronyell Hmmm... now I'm a bit worried about reading the VA books after book 3. I haven't read Frostbite yet, but I'm planning on reading that soon! Great review!

Tatiana Ronyell wrote: "Hmmm... now I'm a bit worried about reading the VA books after book 3. I haven't read Frostbite yet, but I'm planning on reading that soon! Great review!"

Well, I am known to be picky, so you might like the whole thing better. Many people did.