Tatiana's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: 2009, ya, favorites, dystopias-post-apocalyptic, ala-ya-2009, 2010, 2012, nostalgia, 2013
Recommended to Tatiana by: VBC
Recommended for: everybody
Read from March 24, 2012 to September 23, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 4

Original, 2008

This book was recommended to me after I read Unwind by Neal Shusterman and although maybe it is not as emotionally affecting as Unwind, I still think it is a fantastic book. The story has just the perfect combination of action, drama, and romance. It has a great message that you can stay human even in the most inhumane conditions. Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting the sequel. I am sure even greater things are to come in the next book.

Update 9/09. Just finished rereading this book and it is as great as I remember it to be. What especially stands out is how tightly plotted and edited it is. Every chapter is a perfection with no wasted words or paragraphs, no filler. Every chapter has an incredible impact and always ends with an emotional "bang." I think I am now prepared for "Catching Fire" and hope my expectations are not too high...

Update 8/10. What else is there to say about this fantastic book? What is the better testament to this novel's greatness than the fact that it is just as affecting after the 3rd reading as it was after the 1st, if not more. My heart is aching for Katniss, Peeta, and whole Panem. Please, Suzanne, don't disappoint us with Mockingjay. And can Peeta stay alive too? I don't care if he gets the girl, but I love him and want him to make it through.

Update 3/12. Post-movie. Still adore the book. I love and hate the feeling it gives me. The book is better, obviously, than the movie. But the movie has its merits too. Generally smart casting decisions.
86 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

09/05/2009 page 1
0.27% "Rereading, couldn't help it"
08/18/2010 page 17
5.0% "3rd reading in anticipation of Mockingjay"
08/19/2010 page 210
56.0% "This book is just as good 3rd time around."
show 3 hidden updates…

Lady Salford I have been thinking about reading this series because everyone is raving about it. At first, I thought maybe its all hype but since you and Heather love it, I feel like I should read it as soon as possible. ;D

I'll pick it up this summer while visiting the US.

Tatiana I haven't yet met anyone who didn't like it, so I am fairly certain you'll enjoy it too.

Annalisa If you thought Unwind was better than Hunger Games, I'm going to have to check it out.

Tatiana I was extremely impressed by Unwind.

Tatiana You haven't yet!? You should get on it ASAP!

message 6: by jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo [nods:]

H.I. Al-Muhairi It's a must-read

Hannah T,
I felt the same way as you -- it stands up to re-reads in a big way.

Let the countdown to Mockingjay commence...

Tatiana Hannah, you know, I didn't expect this book to make me cry or get so emotional, after all, I knew perfectly well what was coming. But, OMG, it did it for me once again.

Hannah I had a similar experience :)

Do you happen to know if there's going to be any midnight release parties planned at Border's or B&N?

Tatiana No, I haven't heard anything about it. I've never been at one of those either.

Hannah We've been to 2 Harry Potter release parties and to the...Epic Fail release party (I regret going to that one).

message 13: by H.I. (new) - rated it 4 stars

H.I. Al-Muhairi Do people actually wait for the release of books at the doors? o_O

I thought it was only to releases of video games~

/lives under a rock/

Hannah Oh no, there were HUGE midnight release parties for the last couple of Harry Potter books. Really fun!

Tatiana Hannah, did you dress up as an HP character for these parties?

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH My husband and kids went to a Harry Potter midnight party at the local Chapters store. They went all out with owls, costumed staff, and even butterbeer and pumpkin juice (have no idea what the drinks were). Good fun was had by all, but we preordered the book and got it in the mail the next day.

What would they do for a Mockingjay party?

message 17: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2010 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "Hannah, did you dress up as an HP character for these parties?"

I didn't, but Hanneybean did on the midnight release for HP and the Half Blood Prince. She turned out to be the second person out the door with her book that night at 12:03 a.m. Fun times!

Hannah AH wrote: "What would they do for a Mockingjay party"

Hmm, lots and lots of stale bread? :)

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I was thinking that they could stage a survivor game, but killing your customers just wouldn't go over well now, wouldn't it?

message 20: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2010 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah AH wrote: "I was thinking that they could stage a survivor game, but killing your customers just wouldn't go over well now, wouldn't it?"

Maybe just the really bitchy ones - the ones who cut in line at the checkout and take up all the cashier's time chit-chatting. Those customers I'd unleash some Tracker Jackers on...
LOL!

message 21: by Tatiana (last edited Aug 20, 2010 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana LOL. I wouldn't mind the games if the guy in a glimmering undies from Catching Fire shows up (can't remember his name) :)

message 22: by jo (last edited Apr 02, 2011 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo

NOOO! *runsScreamingIntoTheWoods*

Tatiana Especially big NO for Peeta.

message 24: by jo (last edited Apr 02, 2011 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo Have you seen Liam H. play? He's needs more acting classes. Josh H. isn't suitable for the part either. I'd rather settle with Hunter Parrish.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of Weeds, but he gave a decent enough performance in FREEDOM WRITERS
DARN IT! Why can't they cast fresh new faces for those parts?

Ronyell Great review Tatiana!!

Camillalala Def will read unwind after reading your reviews.

Angela What a testament to this book that it still holds up after four readings. Once I get back my copy from friends who are currently circulating it, I think I'll consider giving it a re-read too. :)

Tatiana That's why it's staying on my favorites shelf. It definitely has a staying power.

Angela Tatiana wrote: "That's why it's staying on my favorites shelf. It definitely has a staying power."

That's definitely a strong endorsement coming from you, someone I consider a critical and detailed reader. This is one of the few books where I am surprised by any strong differences of opinion, even among my other esteemed GR friends. Of course, I know we all have different experiences with books and respect that, but I still want to jump up and down and say, "It was sooo good and actually deals with real issues in real ways!" ;)

Tatiana LOL. To me, HG is one of a very few books that has a very wide general appeal. It can certainly appeal to men (tested on hubby, he is a huge fan too).

But I keep coming across one review of HG that calls it a girl wish-fulfillment fantasy and it just really upsets me each and every time I see it. We all are used to differences in opinions on books, but in this case I can't wrap my mind around such a reading of this particular novel. It's been a struggle for me not to get defensive and post something on that review.

message 31: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Tatiana wrote: "LOL. To me, HG is one of a very few books that has a very wide general appeal. It can certainly appeal to men (tested on hubby, he is a huge fan too).

But I keep coming across one review of HG tha..."

I saw that review. There was a long thread about it and discussing those views. I don't see it. Sometimes it's best just to go to the reviews you like and chat there.

We really enjoyed the movie. It's probably one of the better book to film adaptions I've seen. Really well done, except for that shaky camera...

Tatiana AH, I did stop following it, unfortunately some friends are still commenting and I keep being drawn to it:)

The discussion starts here:

and goes on a lot about the points Brian made in his original review

Obviously, I am all for people liking what they like, but I am struggling with many aspects of his arguments.

message 33: by Angela (last edited Mar 28, 2012 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Tatiana wrote: "LOL. To me, HG is one of a very few books that has a very wide general appeal. It can certainly appeal to men (tested on hubby, he is a huge fan too).

But I keep coming across one review of HG tha..."

I meandered over there via your links, and after a cursory glance through both reviews (the positive and the negative), I decided to avoid them. I just don't have the energy or the time to read all of that or defend my positions. While I do think that many aspects of the books do speak to young women in very specific ways, calling it mindless, wish fulfillment seems so far off.

Oh, and almost all of the men I know who've read it also thinks it's great and very issue-focused. My spouse and I read the first book aloud to each other while on a long Christmas holiday drive together in 2010, and I don't think wish fulfillment ever came to either of our minds. ;)

Tatiana I know. You can call it too gruesome or unrealistic, but a frivolous wish-fulfillment fantasy? No, can't agree with that.

Angela Tatiana wrote: "I know. You can call it too gruesome or unrealistic, but a frivolous wish-fulfillment fantasy? No, can't agree with that."

Tru dat x 100.

message 36: by AH (last edited Mar 28, 2012 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I lost energy for that thread too. I wanted to state my opinion but by the time I had thought of something to say, they had moved on to other stuff and it just didn't feel like it belonged.

Angela Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Rather, the story seems the anti-wish fulfillment. I doubt anyone who has read all three books would want to be in Katniss's shoes."

Not that it really matters, but I wonder if that reviewer's opinion would have changed had he read the entire trilogy.

Kirstin They should have stuck with the book, when she (Madge) had given the mockingjay pin to Katniss. I really think that the pin was less significant when she just bought it at the Hob, rather than if it were handed to her by someone who's somewhat important to Katniss.