Stefan's Reviews > The Steel Remains

The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

Oct 10, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, library-loan
Read in June, 2009

If you're familiar with Richard K. Morgan's other works, you'll be pleased to know that "The Steel Remains" combines many strong points of his Takeshi Kovacs novels, but places them in a fantasy setting instead of SF. This is a very recognizable Richard K. Morgan novel - in an unrecognizable setting.
Ringil Eskiath, son of a wealthy merchant family, has made a name for himself in several ways before the start of the story. For one, he is a hero of a past war, in which humanity had to defend itself against an invasion of a non-human lizard-like race. Balancing this, he is also an openly gay man in a very intolerant society - and it's only his heroic behavior, and the wealth of his family, that has saved him from a horrible public execution.
After the war, Gil went into semi-retirement in a small village, but he is called back to the city at the start of the story, asked by his mother to try and save a less fortunate family member who has been sold into slavery. While investigating her disappearance, Gil uncovers a much larger plot involving a member of a race that was long considered gone.
Gil's story takes up most of the novel, but two other story lines alternate with his chapters, both focusing on former - and very different - comrades of Ringil. Eventually ��the three plots draw together to a solid climax, but before then they help give a solid picture of a very intriguing and well-designed fantasy universe. Two more novels are planned in this fantasy world, but "The Steel Remains" works very well as a complete story while at the same time showing great promise for the sequels.
So. If you're familiar with the author, you'll know he doesn't shy away from violence and explicit sex - and often combines the two. There aren't very many likable characters in his books. Parts of this book stand out as some of Morgan's darkest, most shocking work. If you're squeamish or looking for something light to read, this book is not for you. On the other hand, if you're interested in trying some real "dark fantasy" (or fantasy noir, to borrow the author's term), check out this excellent novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Steel Remains.

06/09 page 113
28.9% "One hell of a writer, and nice to see his fantasy is as good as his SF."
10/08 marked as: currently-reading
10/10 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeffrey I did like this book and I am a fan of Morgan. However, the images of the punishment inflicted on gay men in this story stuck with me for a long time after and not in a good way.

Stefan Re-reading this one to refresh my memory. I've got part 2 and an advance copy of 3 lined up next.

Jeffrey I bought 2 and have 3 on Kindle. Just have been slammed at work havent even been able to read Broken Eye, which is 10 days overdue at library. Let me know what you think