Shauna's Reviews > The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood

The Mascot by Mark Kurzem

May 18, 09

Read in May, 2009

This was our book club book, otherwise I would not have picked this book on my own because I shy away from dark, difficult subject matter for the most part. And this is some of the darkest: dealing with WWII, Nazis, Holocaust massacres, Russian and Latvian plots, and just unbelievable evil. It is also gut-wrenching to "watch" the author's father tap into his purposefully repressed memories of his horrific childhood. And yet there is something of the fascination of tragedy about it--like watching disasters on television--they are so awful you want to cry, but you also can't tear yourself away.
This book was fascinating the way it unfolded. First the memories, then the research to validate, then the critical debate. I was most surprised at those who threatened the revelation of the facts--it was hard to believe that after so much time, there was still so much fear and hatred. So even though it is true I wouldn't have chosen this book on my own, I really felt it was a worthwhile read, and it was, in its own dark way, rivetingly enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mascot.