Hilary's Reviews > The Last Lecture

bookshelves: 2009, memoir, non-fiction
Recommended to Hilary by: Holly, Mom
Recommended for: Krissy, Brett
Read in April, 2009 , read count: 1

The Last Lecture was a book that was offhandedly recommended to me by my cousin Holly. Shortly after she recommended it to me, a number of other people noted it as a book that seemed "pretty popular right now" so I should "probably read it." Not exactly the best recommendation, given very few of the people who recommended it to me had actually read it. When my mother was looking for a book to read, I passed on the title to her with those recommendations intact. She read it in two days.

The Last Lecture was a very quick read, but a very thoughtful book. Although short and "easy reading" it benefits from sitting back and thinking on it for a time. The lessons within it are lessons that are really for everybody, and the advice it gives is advice that everyone can benefit from. Although the bulk of what is contained in it is just common sense (For instance, when asked why he got tenure early his response was that if the person asking called him up Friday at 10 he could answer it segueing into the "Work Hard" section of the talk.) it is still common sense that seems to be lacking a lot in today's culture.

I'd recommend this book to just about anyone. It's a thoughtful reflection on a life and one well worth taking. I'm glad to see the book got as popular as it did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.