Aimee's Reviews > The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

Apr 30, 09

I started this years ago and decided to reread and finish. Excellent book full of wisdom. It got a little boring 3/4 the way through then got interesting again. I was reminded of a great line in The Princess Bride: "Life IS pain princess, and anyone who tells you differently is selling something." He makes the point that when we accept that life is difficult it gets much easier. Life is a series of problems to be solved. When we're growing spiritually the legitimate suffering of life is mixed with much JOY. Those things that hurt, instruct. He discusses the necessities of self discipline and love to solve life's problems and how detrimental it is to our growth and emotional health to avoid the legitimate suffering and pain of life instead of experiencing it and working through it. Good insights on procrastination, delaying gratification, parenting & discipline, responsibility, the constant battle against laziness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Less Traveled.