Tatiana's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Aug 23, 10

bookshelves: 2009, ya, favorites, dystopias-post-apocalyptic, ala-ya-2010, 2010, 2013
Recommended for: everybody
Read from August 22, 2010 to September 23, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I'll keep this review short, mainly because I don't want to give out any spoilers. After all, I didn't read any before opening the book and I am glad I didn't, many events in the book caught me by a complete surprise and I loved it! "Catching Fire" is a sequel equal in quality to "Hunger Games." The writing is superb, action-packed, and emotional. It did lack the perfect pacing of the first book, the first half was a little slow and for some time I wasn't sure where it was going, but it picked up immensely in the later part.

What else can I say? This book was all I wished for and even more (and my expectations were very high after rereading "Hunger Games"). I am dying to get my hands on the last 3rd book!

P.S. If before reading "Catching Fire" I was concerned whether I would be able to stay on Team Peeta with more time given to Gale, I am not any more...

Update 8/23/10. Still love it. The first half is still slow - even though a lot of horrid stuff happens in it - but intensity goes over the roof once the Quell's terms are announced. The ending left me with a feeling of sadness, but different from the sadness I felt after finishing The Hunger Games. If the 1st novel ended tragically in a personal way - Peeta's broken heart and Katniss's renewed fear for her life, the 2nd makes you think about a tragedy of a bigger proportion - will the districts be able to defeat the Capitol and how much many lives will it cost them?

I love the wider scope of this second novel - we slowly learn (along with Katniss) about what goes on in Panem. The girl hardly knows her own importance, her worldview is definitely very limited and locked onto her own and her family's survival. I can relate to that.

My opinion about the love triangle has changed, however. Really, this book is not about which boy Katniss will pick. It's about much bigger issues. Katniss can figure out who is right for her, when she is finally in a position to stop worrying about both Gale's and Peeta's safety.

The genius of this series (so far) is that I have no idea what will happen in Mockingjay. Whatever it is, I hope my favorite characters will make it, although I am sure Suzanne Collins is not the type of writer who is afraid of killing off her own creations. We shall see.

My only qualm about Catching Fire is that it's a tad heavy on dressing up. Editing one or two gown descriptions wouldn't have hurt IMO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

09/12/2009 page 1
09/13/2009 page 175
44.76% "OMG!!!"
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penny (last edited Apr 12, 2010 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Penny SPOILERS

So. The the other day I was talking to a friend and she said she was really worried for Peeta. She thinks Peeta might be turned into an Avox (his power resides largely in his ability to speak).

I've been preparing for all sorts of possibilities, yet the Avox scenario never occurred to me. Now I'm totally horrified. I'm more okay with the possibility of Peeta dying (the Christ-like martyr) over the possibility of him becoming an avox.

Anyway, I was wondering what you think about this. The Avox scenario, I mean.

Tatiana I don't want to even consider this possibility. I need my Peeta alive! (not much of an input, right? sorry, I am in a deep denial about this Avox scenario)

Penny There aren't going to be any ARCs of Mockingjay, so I can't read any of those early reviews and prepare myself accordingly. I might not read Mockingjay right away, just wait a little to see what everyone else thinks. I can't handle another Breaking Dawn (full of fail) type ending.

It's so sad that I'm stressing out over the fate of a character in a book.

Tatiana You are talking like a true book lover. I'd rather stress over books than real life problems.

As for Mockingjay, I'll probably read it regardless of early reviews, I'll be too curious and I already pre-ordered it anyway. So no turning back.

Annalisa I think Collins is smarter than that. It seems like at the end of Eclipse, I thought, "that's it? You're going to drag it on for another book?" It seems like everything that needed to be told had already been told. But there is so much more to Katniss' story. I think Mockingjay will be awesome. I'm planning on cracking the cover the second it takes Amazon two and half weeks to mail it to me :).

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Oh my gosh! The speculation is killing me! I can't wait for the next book and now I have to share it with my 14 year old who will try to steal it when I am not looking...

Great review! I never thought of the Avox angle. I hope it's wrong...

Hannah AH wrote: "Oh my gosh! The speculation is killing me! I can't wait for the next book and now I have to share it with my 14 year old who will try to steal it when I am not looking....."

I have it a bit better, as my 15 year old has already started school, and will be there until 2:30. I plan on dropping her off, ske-daddling over to Border's at opening time, and flying back home to read from about 9:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. I sure hope I can finish it before she gets out, as it's her's after that - lol!

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Great plan. I was just going to hide the book.

Hannah AH wrote: "Great plan. I was just going to hide the book."

That'll work, too :D

Penny Who do you think is going to die? I was thinking it would be Peeta, but now I'm leaning toward Haymitch. Why? Because this is the sort of thing I do, second guess myself. Besides, Peeta is the obvious person to kill off. No one would expect Haymitch to die.

Tatiana For some reason I think both Gale and Peeta are going to make it. If one of them is gone, then it's too easy of a resolution of the triangle.

I think Finnick will die, maybe Haymitch. Many will.

I wonder how Mockingjay will fare without any kind of Games in it? Or maybe there will be?

Penny Maybe Finnick and Annie will drown in eachothers arms (ironic much?) Or maybe someone will stab them to death, with a Triton.

Portia will die. I'm sure of it.

OH! And I think the butcher is/was a spy for President Snow. Because the first kiss between Katniss and Gale happened RIGHT OUTSIDE HER HOME. And the last time Katniss snuck out of District 12, it was under the hole in the fence near the butchers home. I don't think the butcher is evil though, I think she just had no other choice.

Okay, thirty more minutes and I'm going to the 24-hour grocery store across the street and DEMANDING they give me a copy of Mockingjay.

Tatiana I really like Finnick/Annie pairing, even though we never even met Annie. My heart will bleed for them if they meet their end the way you describe it:)

Interesting take on the butcher. I never thought of it. You definitely have a point there.

If you get it, will you be reading all night? I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon, so at this point I have no idea when I will get it:(

Penny Yeah, I probably won't stay up all night reading it because I was up all last night, driving home. I got home at five this morning. I'm exhausted but I won't rest until I've got a copy of Mockingjay.

Yeah, I have a lot of weird theories, some of which are a stretch, but I'm almost positive on the butcher theory. I think she's the one who tipped off the authorities about Gale hunting outside the district and the fact that the red-headed guy from Panem (forgot his name), the newest Avox in Catching Fire, was friendly with the natives. She was probably the reason the black market (forgot the name of the giant warehouse. Sorry) was burned down. Perhaps she's really a spy-spy. Like and undercover cop, or whatever.

Okay, my theory is getting a bit outlandish.

A few last theories: I think Gale and Madge sort of have a thing going. I think they keep it secret for a purpose. I think Katniss has been groomed to not only be a tribute but to win the hunger games from the time she was a child. I don't know if Peeta was in love with Katniss before the 74th annual hunger games like he said he was. But he did fall in love for real. I'm sure of it.

You should Google 'Pearl Plot 2.0'

Okay, I'm embarrassing myself here. I need to just go to sleep. After I go across the street.

Goodnight.

Jason "Book Sniper" Thanks for your review. I plan to start reading this book today (Christmas).

message 16: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 25, 2010 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana An excellent way to pass time on this day:) Enjoy!

Ronyell Awesome review Tatiana!!I really enjoyed this book too!

Jessie R Awesome review! I know not everyone agrees but these are kickass books:))

Suriyah Henry I agree with you when you made the comment about the learning of Panema versus the importance of the love triangle. I also think that people get so caught up in who ends up with who, that they take away from the strong statement that Suzanne makes. She not only comments on the struggle of poverty but in her own way she has managed to bash the government. She has stretched beyond what civilization would be like when continuing on the road of "government" domination. while her way of ending the second book was a bit of a bummer, her brilliant concepts hiding in a love triangle are absolutely outstanding.

Nicole Neustadt I don't know what I can say that you haven't already covered. This squeal is absolutely flawless. It's unlike other squeals that just don't turn out as good as the first book. I love the way Collins is able to pick up right where she left off and just ease into the next book. Catching Fire most definitely left me shocked with some of the twists and turns she throws in. The fact she had to put in a quarter quell where one female and one male victor must compete in the 75th hunger games makes me go crazy.(Not to mention the fact she had to have already thought out that every 25 years there is a Quarter Quell that takes place instead of the usual games, so this means she had to have already been thinking of this twist while writing the first book and having Katniss and Peeta compete in the 74th Hunger Games). Of course this would happen to Katniss and Peeta right after they win a great battle to the deaths they must do it all over again. There is no other way to explain my reaction to this plot twist. Once again Collins proves to write a suspenseful, nail biting, page turning, late night reading, sequel to an already amazing read. Well done, bravo!