Denise's Reviews > Medicus

Medicus by Ruth Downie

Sep 21, 13

bookshelves: fiction, my-fav-authors
Read in February, 2013

Having read all of the Gordianus books by Steven Saylor and the Falco books by Lindsey Davis, I was excited to find this series by Ruth Downie. She introduces the character of Gaius Petrius Ruso--a Roman doctor (known as a "medicus") stationed on the edge of the empire during the time of the emperor Hadrian.

Ruso has come out of a failed marriage. His father has died recently and his "investments" are actually bills and the family is deeply in depth. As the paterfamilias (head of the family), Ruso has the task of working to pay off the debts without losing the family farm in Gaul. His brother, Lucius, works the farm, has a pregnant wife, many children, and there is also a stepmother and two step sisters to provide for. Ruso's pay is sent each quarter to the family while he lives in a vermin-infested wreck of a dwelling in Britannia. He has a lot of emotional baggage and feels pulled by many factors out of his control.

A fresh story about an ancient time period. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medicus.