Erik Graff's Reviews > The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness

bookshelves: psychology
Recommended to Erik by: WFMT
Recommended for: everyone
Read in August, 1974 — I own a copy, read count: 1

During the summer between college and my first graduate school I worked as a security guard for Chicago's Womens' Athletic Club on Ontario and Michigan Avenues in the Gold Coast area. The job had been obtained for me, and others of our friends, by Mike and Tom Miley whose mother, Helen, was working as the business manager there. After graduating from seminary she was kind enough to employ me again until I found more regular work.

The position at the club was a peach. My duties consisted of guarding the service entrance, the most onerous part of which was having to arrive before the other workers did early in the morning. Other than saying "hello" to folks as they came in, there really wasn't much to do but go off to Stuart Brent books around the corner during the lunch break. Very occasionally I'd be given some stupid paperwork, but mostly I just read while sitting in an exceptionally uncomfortable chair near the time cards and service elevator and just under the service stairway. I must have read a hundred books that summer, often more than one in an eight-hour day.

Once in a while I would listen to the radio--most memorably for WFMT's multipart lecture by Erich Fromm on human aggressiveness, a series which led to the purchase of his book on the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness.