Barbara's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

May 09, 09

Read in May, 2009

Charming, funny, quirky, with lots of literary references--I really liked this book and probably should have given it five stars simply for reading pleasure. It's set on Guernsey (one of the British Channel Islands) shortly after the German occupation has ended. Juliet, a witty London columnist, finds herself drawn to the island after beginning a correspondence with a Guersney farmer. She's intrigued enough that she travels there in order to research a book about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--a book discussion group (of sorts) made up of several eccentric islanders who accidently fall in love with books and survive the occupation through their friendship and reading. My complaints about the book are that the letters (the story is told entirely through them) basically all sound the same. I also wasn't entirely sold on the story's romance--it seemed implausible and the ending way too easy and predictable. BUT the quirky characters, fascinating history, literary references, and the island itself made for a wonderful read. Now I want to visit Guernsey and write real letters.

Andrea i loved this and gave it five stars, why did you only give it four?

Barbara Andrea wrote: "i loved this and gave it five stars, why did you only give it four?"
For reading pleasure it is definitely a five but the romance never grabbed me and I found the ending a little too pat.

Andrea i can see your point! also all those simple people wh.yo are all literary interested, but maybe it is really for everybody if properly introduced!