PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Last Vampire

The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike

Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: book-series, read-growing-up, young-adult, vampire, 1st-in-a-series, fave-author
Read in September, 2009, read count: 4

"I am a vampire, and that is the truth. But the modern meaning of the word vampire, the stories that have been told about creatures such as I, are not precisely true. I do not turn to ash in the sun, nor do I cringe when I see a crucifix. I wear a tiny gold cross now around my neck, but only because I like it. As to blood--ah, blood, the whole subject fascinates me."

I just finished reading "The Last Vampire" again after having read it about 17 years ago. I without a doubt enjoyed it even more this time as I was too young to appreciate it before. What I love most about the book is that Pike tells the story through the eyes of the vampire herself. Throughout the narration, Sita debunks many of the myths and stereotypes associated with vampires and reveals the true nature of this extraordinary being. And because she is as old as history itself, Sita recounts major historical events and points out some inaccuracies in the written tradition.

Yaksha, the very first vampire and the embodiment of all that is evil, changed Sita and hundreds of others into vampires in India 5,000 years ago. But Krishna, who embodies all that is good, outwits Yaksha in combat (almost killing him) and makes Yaksha vow that all the vampires will be destroyed and no more will ever be created. Yaksha hunts down and kills all the other vampires as he vowed to do, and later is killed and burned in the witch trials of the Middle Ages. This leaves Sita as the sole remaining vampire.

Now Sita is living in Mayfair, Oregon, calling herself Alisa Perne, secure in the knowledge that she is the last vampire. Yet, someone is hunting her...and only another vampire would be capable of hunting a creature as powerful, fast, and ruthless as Alisa. But there are no other vampires, so Alisa must find out who or what is after her.

Sita/Alisa is a creature who has managed to witness firsthand 5,000 years of humanity's history, and has a lot to say about it. We understand what we always have: what it feels like to love, to lose, to fear, to hate. Sita/Alisa is delightfully human, in her capacity for all these things. Her pain is real, and her dilemma is an arduous one. As far as I am concerned, this is one of the best literary examples of the origin of vampires being explained in a fashion both comprehensible and believable.

Pike's story flows like water--you can easily visualize what is happening--marvelously violent, and quite bloody. Not only does it manage to give you a compelling and gripping story with characters that are both real and complex--it's actually refreshing.

Book Details:

Title Last Vampire
Author Christopher Pike
Reviewed By Purplycookie
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Vampire.

Quotes PurplyCookie Liked

Christopher Pike
“He cries. 'Please! I don't want to die.'
I lean over. My hair smothers him.
'Then you should never have been born,' I say.”
Christopher Pike, The Last Vampire

Christopher Pike
“Before I begin, may I ask how old you are?"
"You may ask."
"How old are you?"
"It's none of your business”
Christopher Pike, The Last Vampire