Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Islands Apart: A Year on the Edge of Civilization

Islands Apart by Ken McAlpine

Apr 29, 2009

bookshelves: read2011, travel, cold-weather-islands
Read from June 17 to 18, 2011

Dear Mr. McAlpine,

I would like to have your life. I have read two of your books at this point, and each one has supercharged my weird desire to travel to obscure, cold-weather, bleak places, and I have now added the Channel Islands to my list. I was actually reading Off-Season: Discovering America on Winter's Shore the day I went to Block Island in February, so this is no joke!

P.S. As your name is McAlpine, I can only imagine that you are obscurely related to the larger MacGregor clan, so I think we might be related. When you decide to travel to Scotland for your next cold weather adventure book, TAKE ME WITH YOU.

Ahem, sorry about that. These kinds of books just make me itch to see more, do more, and not the normal stuff. I preferred the chapters about the islands, and didn't care much about the wider point of the impact of society and business and technology (for a much better read on those topics, read The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains). So I pretty much skimmed the Hollywood and Beverly Hills chapters in order to get back to the bits about the islands more quickly.

"You have to be out there to understand the place."

"The island becomes your world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Islands Apart.